Car audio amplifier install in house

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 197
i plan on hooking up a hifonics xx chaos amplifier inside the house with two computer power supplies combined.

i have been thinking about doing this for quite some time.. so i have had time to re-think the situation.
and today i had a brilliant idea.

has anybody hooked up a car amplifier inside their house with a computer power supply AND a capacitor or batcap or kinetik power cell?

my first thought was that i will need to combine three computer power supplys to get the 12volt amperage up to 100.
but i think it would be awesome to hook up all the 12 volt wires to a kinetik power cell and then hook the amp up to the power cell.

i have a dell 460watt psu and another dell that is 375watt.
the combined amperage between the two equals 62amps on the 12volt lines.

so has anyone added a capacitor or kinetik power cell to their car amp on a computer power supply?
and has anybody successfully combined the 12volt line with the 3.3volt line for an amperage boost?

i'm trying to run 900watts to a 12 inch subwoofer.. but i dont think i'll be using all 900 watts

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 198
i see some videos on youtube where people have used capacitors..!

has anybody combined the 12volt wire with the 3.3volt wire successfully?

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 190
Idk WTF you are thinking lol but whatever it may be post pictures afterwards hahah

Username: Lildude924

Sumter, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
I have a car amp hooked up in my house right now, the power is coming from a 450 watt computer power supply and it works great.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 199
my amp melted the RCA cord.. gotta get the amp fixed.

Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 3
Domenico it's actually simple computers run on 12v, if you know the color code of the amp you can use the 12 output to power a 12 amp as long as you can find away to turn on the psu through the signal wires and make sure you have enough current output from the computers psu to run the amp. Never tried it though too afraid to burn my house down if something goes wrong lol.

I dont see why you would want to add a cap though. Computer psus are usually regulated, at least the higher end ones very well regulated, and they already have caps inside so adding one would kind of useless. You should look for the 80 plus ratings on the box this means you can obtain 80% of the total power rating of the amp constantly without problem and that will allow you get the current you need to run the amp. Also there such things as voltage regulators made for pc's you can look into that the one from apc runs for 60$ about and that could solve any 120 fluctuations . If you stabilize the 120 the psu should be able to take care of the rest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us