Upgrading to 16volt system

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 168
How would i go about doing this? and would it be worth the time, money, and effort to even do it. & what are some pros and cons about doing this?

thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 41
Pros: You will get more out of your amps (if they can handle 16v), your output will increase from the manufacturers specs. If properly done, you could have much more consistency in the voltage (no fluctuations,etc...).

Cons: Not so cheap to do. You may be looking at upgrading your entire electrical system and upgrading equipment to do this.

Most people that do this are serious SPL competitors that are literally squeezing every ounce out of their systems. However, most of these people also have sponsors who pay to replace blown gear. Keep that in mind too. I looked at upgrading my system a number or years ago and was looking at nearly $4k to do so.

Details: Higher cranking batter (or batteries), Upgraded alternator, larger grounding cables for battery and alternator, larger guage wire from battery (or batteries) to amps, possibly buying new amps, adding capacitors and/or power regulators, etc... the list goes on and on.

What would be your reasons for looking into 16v?

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 238
More power out of my equip mainly, I'll probably end up doing it further down the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us