Help With Picking Amp for Subs

Username: Cyam

Post Number: 1
I have 2 Pioneer TS-W308D4 12" Champion Series DVC 4ohm Subs 1400w max & 400w RMS each...anyone have a suggestion for an amp and how I should wire them? Im having trouble with matching ohms and watts properly when I'm looking for amps. I'm looking at a budget of under $200...mono or 2 channel amp is what I was looking at.
Thanx for any suggestions!

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 159
if you have 2 4 dvc subs then when you wire them they will be at a 1 ohm load. shoot for a mono amp.

Post Number: 4
So if I get a mono amp, I'd wire them together for 1 ohm? Parallel or Series? What would the RMS rating need to be? 1000w RMS @ 1ohm stable? (800w x 120% = 1000w, for 20% power loss). Any suggestions on a good amp in that range?

Post Number: 5
So I would be wiring them like this? ( the diagram on top)
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=12

Or would it be like this? (the diagram on top)
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

I think its the second one...which is parallel wired. 1ohm output to 2 (two) 4ohm subs. Is that right?

One last thing, each voice coil is 2ohm, and since its DVC, each sub is rated @ 4ohm (2ohm + 2ohm = 4ohm). Am I right in my understanding?
Thank you

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 163
a 4 ohm dvc sub that is wired pos to pos and neg to neg will be 2 ohms. each sub at 2 ohms then bridged to the amp will be a 1 ohm load yes. most amps are rated at doing their rms at 14.4 volts however most cars stock are not going to maintain 14.4 volts. If you were to get an amp that is stable at 1 ohm and was rated to do a 1000 rms at 14.4 volts, it would do fine for your 2 subs.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4990
look at some Hifonics, decent budget amps.

Post Number: 6
Just to clarify, If I get an amp that is rated for 1000watts RMS @ 1ohm stable @ 14.4 volts...then ill be all set? I have a 500k farad cap too..will that help any? I know that class D doesn't draw as much current as an A/B though.

Thank you!

Post Number: 7
Hey would 1500w @ 1ohm be too much? Cuz I was looking at the CRUNCH P1500.1 1500 WATT Mono Amp.

Or would the CRUNCH P1000.1 1000 WATT MONO Amp be better?
I want to power my subs efficiently, but not blow them up. I've already bought one amp with the wrong specs and I wasted money so I wanna get it right this time. Lol. Thanx again.

Post Number: 8
haha...one more thing...most 1000w amps say they have RMS ratings of 250-400w because that is for 2&4ohms...but then they say that for 1ohm the RMS is 1000w, yet they also say that the max wattage it 1000w...how does that work?
Is the 1000w max rating for 2ohm because that is standard? Is the amp truely rated for 1000w RMS?
Thanks yet again!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 164
RMS is what you want to look at. generally their most rms is at 1 ohm, if they are stable and as you go down in ohm loads, 2 or 4, the rms goes down around 25%. for example, 1000 rms x 1 @ 1 ohm, 750 rms x 1 @ 2 ohms and 500 rms x 1 @ 4 ohm. this can vary per amp but that is generally how it works. as far as "max" wattage versus rms wattage, rms is what you want to go for. what it is, if an amp requires 2000 watts of power to create 1000 rms of power, it is 50% efficient. What makes one amp "better" than another is how much RMS it can make out of a given amount of total wattage. So amps that are say 74% efficient or so are very good compared to those in the 60% range. This is important because it will help save your electrical system, aka lights dimming, etc. Go by the rms rating on the subwoofers as well so compare a good amp with the subs. Shoot for a 1000 rms x 1 ohm mono amp. You could look for a pioneer amp to match your subs, or a kenwood or alpine. All are reasonably priced and will do the job for you.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3132
and dump the cap.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 113
pass on the hifonics and crunch. u can get a rd 1000.1 or aq 1200 for around the same cost expect they do there power rating.

Post Number: 10
Im not finding any Memphis PRD1000.1's for any less that $500 new...know were I can get something for under $200? They look like good quality though.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 115
im talkin rd audio 1000.1...it was on presale for 239 shipped dont if it still is, u can get ahold of them at 770-726-9337...or u can find the aq 1200 at audioque.com...idk how good of an amp ur gonna get thats 1000 rms n under 200.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Alright thanx, RD Audio isn't a very large brand it seems...never heard of them till now. Nice products though. ^_^
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us