T20001bd + 300amp alt = voltage dropping

Bronze Member
Username: Caddycad

Post Number: 51
i installed a t20001bd the amp rating on it is 250a, i just installed a 300amp alternator from EA and i have a HC2000 kentetik battery in the trunk but im still getting voltage drop on the dash when i bang it hard..

what do you guys think? could the HC2000 be weak and need replacing (ive had it for 2 years) or something else

i love the t20001bd but im not getting the most out of it right now.. ive done the big-3 minus the ground on the engine block..

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10620
How much drop is there... usually there will always be some voltage drop under heavy load. When it gets below 12 volts is when you have a problem....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
im seeing it drop to 11-12v on the hardest notes with the a/c on.. what can i do to hold a steady 14 at all times?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
i was thinking about getting my old 240 amp alternator rebuilt and running dual alternators to dual batteries in the trunk.. how would i run 2 alternators and 2 diffrent batteries to one amp? some type of distrobution block with 2 0guage inputs?

does this sound like a good idea? ide really like to hold that 14volts at all times..

also i dunno whether it matters or not but i have a red top under the hood and a kinetik 2000 in the trunk, ive heard people say dont use 2 diffrent kinds of batteries? there is no isolator in this configuration..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
::kicks rocks::

Username: Tinkbz

Norfolk, Va Usa

Post Number: 10
holding 14 volts constant is going to be hard to do, and i think you really want to use an isolator but ill do some reserch for you and see what i can find

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1789
you might look into a smaller pulley on the alt, that would increase the rpm's on the rotor, but maintaining 14v is REALLY hard to do, because even a GOOD alternator needs some time to react to the current demand and increase its output.

Some type of quick discharge battery near the amp or a cap of some kind may help in this situation. You clearly have the current available. It seems you just have a quick response problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Tinkbz

Norfolk, Va Usa

Post Number: 11
you might wanna look into a couple yellow top or batcap they are good, but a steady 14 that's gon be hard, sounds like you have a lot running, give me a walk through on what n how you hsve it hooked up if you have time to list everything

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10648
" you might wanna look into a couple yellow top or batcap they are good "

Fail.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
^^^ lolololol

well i changed the ground on the amp from the body to the battery in the trunk and it did make a diffrence.. voltage is alot more solid, maybe ill just grab like 2 extra kenitik 3800's that should do the trick eh?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15419
its advised u run the same brand of batt throughout ur set

u might want to start by changing that redtop - only has a 55Ah rating iirc ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us