Wiring 1 voice coil on a dvc sub

Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 6
I was told that this wouldnt hurt the subs, but before i try it i wanted some input

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15267
y use 1 coil if a sub has 2 ...

Silver Member
Username: Ridicbass07060

Sonances wangin

Post Number: 119
it wont hurt it but why?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1860
There is no reason to do this. Wire them both up if it's dvc.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3618
Everything that I have seen on the subject says never to do it. Which makes sense.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2733
I don't think it would physically hurt the sub, but it will change the T/S parameters. The sub won't perform near it's full potential.

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 8
well my reason is,i dont wanna spend over $400 on a amp. I have 3 4ohm dvc subs. each at 500rms. I can get these wired to 2.67ohms, but if i use 1 coil i can get them down to 1.34ohms. so i can get a good amp in my price range. make any sense at all?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3680
Wire them parallel and it will be at .677_ ohm. With box rise and an amp that puts out clean power at 1ohm youll be fine.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11860
Last I heard wiring to 1 voice coil on a dual coil sub can cause damage. But Jake is right.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20829
The sub was meant to be wired using both coils. Running one coil on a DVC sub is like pulling 4 spark plugs out of your V8 engine and then try towing a boat. That "dead" coil is doing nothing but harm to the driver. (Some will argue that). In fact when the dead coil is now pushed back and forth through the magnet structure from the live coil it will generate a current which needs to be resisted by means of a........resistor.

A speaker takes electrical energy and transforms it into mechanical motion (coil attached to cone). By reversing the setup you now have yourself a generator. Pushing the coil through the magnet generates electrical current, just like those cheap flashlights you charge by shaking them back and forth.

When you wire only one coil on a DVC sub In a sense one coil is devouring the current supplied by the amp while the other is producing it as a by product of the mechanical movement of the cone. Taking the additional forces needed by the "working" coil to move the whole structure using half of the designed motor is.....not smart. Make sense?

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3681
"But Jake is right."

x2 that kids tight as fuckkkkk.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20833

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11862
haha

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 9
Understood, I'LL just quit being cheap an buy the right amp for the job. Anybody have any suggestions of a place to get 1 online? Had a bad experence with dealercostcaraudio.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3684
woofersetc.com has alot of higher-end amps.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9384
Instead of running all those subs, get two decent subs and a good amp.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3628
Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D would be nice. Can find them used for ~$310.00.

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 10
Thats possible to, i only bought them because the guy needed money. 3 type r's still in the box for $150. How can u pass that up?

Username: Drbizerk

Okc, Ok U.s.

Post Number: 6
All of you guys are crazy. Does anyone know why you guys are telling this guy he cant use 1vc? If you don't know what your talking about keep your invalid info to yourself. You can use only one coil, just make sure to keep your max output between 50-75% of what your subs are rated. Dual voice coils purpose is to give more wiring options without having to add more subs to get the desired ohms

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1851
why on earth would you buy a 1000rms dual vc sub if you only want to put 500rms to it?? you obviously bought the wrong sub or wrong vc for your application.

If your amp only does 500rms, dont buy a 1000rms sub, plain n simple.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20841

quote:

All of you guys are crazy. Does anyone know why you guys are telling this guy he cant use 1vc? If you don't know what your talking about keep your invalid info to yourself.

Nobody said you CAN'T, just shouldn't. Not only will the box requirements change but the manufacturer did NOT intend, design, build or warrant the use of only one coil. Some will debate they've been doing it for years without issue. Great. There are some who run nothing but regular octane gas in their ride when the manufacturer intended it only for high octane without any problems either. Again, your gear, your choice.

There's a huge long going debate over in home audio where they always get someone asking how to use car audio equipment in their homes. Ya know, how to power 12v amps off their home's 110v? Sure, you can...............
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us