Need to upgrade amps.

Username: Toledokid

Post Number: 10
I've currently got a 1000watt kenwood older model (like... 7 or some years old??...) mono Subwoofer amp. It runs 1ohm stable.

I just bought 2 12 inch d6 2ohm subwoofers which run 600norm/1200max, and obviously the subwoofer can't power these subwoofers (I've only got one hooked up right now) that well..

I'm looking for some suggestions on what I could get that would power these pretty nicely in the 300 to 450 range.

Thanks!

Also, I'm having some problems (i've heard it's probably my ground wire), but when my stereo beats too hard it will shut off my stereo (inc. everything in the trunk)... and sometimes (especially lately again...) my subwoofer amp is just flat out turn itself off.

I know these are probably pretty major problems that I'll have to troubleshoot myself, but I'm interested to what everyone here might think the problem is.

Bronze Member
Username: Rvpr4

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 13
Does the amp go into protect mode? Are you running the amp @ 1 ohm? Cuz i heard kenwood says their amps are stable to 1 ohm but its actually not. And whats your gain set to?

I have my gain set to max for over a year and my system never shut off no matter how high the volume went.

If your subs are SVC 2 ohm get this amp:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6981/PA12001--Polk-Audio-1-Ch-1200-Watt-Amplifier.htm

Run your subs in parallel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Im guessing the amp is going into protect mode when only the subwoofer amplifier goes out, so yes, It's going into protection mode, so I don't keep it up too loud, at all.

but pretty much if I open the door while my system is beating the entire stereo turns off, I'm guessing That is from the ground being bad... but I'll go and troubleshoot every possible option.

yeah, kenwood claims it runs 1ohm. I just adjusted my gain on my amp to be a little higher because with my 10" kenwood poopy subwoofer I used to run the gain high on the stereo head unit, but now I keep that set pretty flat.

I'll check out that polk amp.

Do you think temporarily there is anyway this kenwood could power both these subs? doubtful, but figured I'd ask cause I gotta wait probably till next month before I can drop another 450 on a amp.

Thanks for the advice!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I don't think my subs are SVM 2 ohm, the website just says "Dual 2 ohm"

maybe if I knew what SVM was I'd know haha.

heres the subs i bought
http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/129/143/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us