Correct amp and amp mounting?

Username: _wicked_

Post Number: 3
Hey I have a MTX Thunder 5500 12" sub in a ported/vented MTX Thunder box. Got it as a combo, here are some pics:
Upload
Upload

I was wondering if the amp I have, a MTX Thunder 2301, will properly power this system? And I was also wondering if I could mount the amp to the back of the box? Or is this a bad ju-ju thing to do? And if it is, as I have read, can I mount the amp under my front pas. seat?

Thanks for the help guys =)

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6762
what's the specs of the amp and sub?

and for mounting, don't mount it on the box. under the seat is fine if you have the room and if the amp will have enough air space.

Post Number: 4
The sub is rated for 2ohm, 300RMS, 900peak.. The box is 3/4" thick not sure what its constructed of. The amp is rated for 300W RMS @ 2ohms, 150W @ 4ohms, it's a single channel amp, class D mono.

Here is a link for the sub and box:
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/TCE5500.cfm

and here is a link for the amp:
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder2301.cfm

Both pulled off the MTX website. For the sub and box, it is the 3rd tab one over, the TCE5512D tab.

Post Number: 5
And I just measured the space under my passenger seat and I have around 3 1/2 close to 4 inches of space under there, would that be enough cooling space if the amp has a fan built into it?

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 208
That amp would power that sub properly(300wrms @ 2 ohms). For mounting the amp, I would do it and then just check on it if it gets hot. When i had a single cab truck i had my amp underneath the seat, it had about 1 inch extra space and it was fine.

Post Number: 6
I have a '93 dodge dakota ext. cab. great truck, runs great, all around great truck, but it needed some bass, lol, as do all cars, IMO. I took the left side of my back seat out, so that I could fit my sub box in there, and am going to mount the amp under the seat tomorrow. I'm planning on mounting the amp on a piece of particle board cutout, and was wondering if I should just cut holes in the carpet, put the wood under the carpet and mount the amp on the wood, and allow the carpet to keep the amp in place? Or should I drill through the chassis and bolt the wood down and them mount the amp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us