Old amps versus new amps

Username: Hellbilly396

Post Number: 2
im from the time when orion,phg,linear power(one of the baddest amps ive heard)soundstream,hifonics etc. where the best. but i have a hard time believing the r better than the new stuff. u know "u cant stopo progress". is it worth the time to find old stuff or can u get comparable new stuff with more useability and options

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6947
I hate to burst your bubble, but it's true. The "old school" amps still out perform the new ones. Back in the 80's and 90's, they made amps with quality. Now it's all about making a quick buck. Of course there are exceptions. Take Zapco for example, their high end series still come with quality. You just have to pay 2x - 5x more for it.
PPI, Xtant, Orion are just a few that can be had at a fraction of their original cost. Look for the Made in USA stickers.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3424
I would take the newer high end and underground brands over most old school amps, in fact, I do everytime I don't buy an old school amp and buy the amps I am using... Not that there is anything wrong with the older ones with the execption of lack of total power output. Find me an amp from the 80's that puts out what my 5750 does and is as efficent. I am 35 years old and was around when whe old school amps were being used.. I remember the old Orion red line series that could be run at .25 ohm without the need of a huge battery bank, but they were pushing at the time top of the line subs, but compared to todays subs they would be budget or low powered at best.
The amps had to progress with the progression of the subs. Imagine having the 2500-5000 wrms subs of today and only having the old school amps to work with. It would not be anywhere as easy to get as loud as we are getting.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6950
You're comparing apples to oranges. Take for example, Orion 275 G4. You find me a "newer" amp that can compete with it. Remember, apples to apples.
Orion 275 HCCA G4 goes for $300 - $400. It's also a Class AB amp, not class D. So, let me know what new amps is out there, that can go head to head. Your new amp also has to be durable, meaning, surviving hours/days/weeks of heavy duty use.

Username: Hellbilly396

Post Number: 5
i just ,like 10 min ago. got an alpine r 12 hooked up to a jl audio 500/1 mono block. I seem to remeber my bros linear power 95 watt amp hittin as hard as this setup, and this jl audio is a huge power hungary amp. maybe it was just a long time ago, but i remeber not being able to breath in his car
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us