Noob Question #46 (Clipping)

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 121
Can someone define clipping for me please? I know its a bad thing in football! THX!

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 693
rofl...

its when your amp is maxed out and you turn the gains up all the way, you're sending out higher voltage levels and this clips the top and bottoms off the sine wave created by the subwoofer, it both sounds terrible and is bad for the sub. alot of people do this with lower powered amps to try and get as much out of their sub as possible - end up clipping by turning all the gains all the way up

this is also an easy way to fry your voice coils

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3446
clipping is caused by several things.
overdriving the input stage of the amp by having the gains turned too high, or having too high of a line voltage for the inputs, or by a lack of current from the car's charging system.

clipping is when the amplifier's voltage rails sag for whatever reason, and the amplifeir is unable to produce a sinewae signal to the speakers.
what happens is the peak and trough of the sinewave gets "clipped" off, producing a square wave instead.
electrically, a square wave translates to DC voltage, which causes the speaker voice coils to become a heating element, which in turn tends to melt the coils, cause distortion, and freeze up the cone. In short, destroying your speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Dan3

Post Number: 103
This is why Glasswolf is da man :-)

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 702
ahahah yes'm

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3449
bacon was right on. I was just adding to what he said.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us