Glasswolf this is my problem with alternator

Eligh
Unregistered guest
Ive got a polk momo 300/2 amp pushing two pioneer premier 12inch DVC subs rated at 400W nominal 800W max. This is in a 91 honda crx. System was absolutely pounding, sounded like 4 12's. And this was with stock 60amp alternator and battery. Since I changed the alternator to a bigger one the sound is distorted and the amp cuts out at high volume. Ive got heavy guage cables everywhere except to the alternator. Is this my problem or do you think it is something else. Thanx.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3401
well, power originates at the alternator my friend, so yeah good insight.
replace the alternator-to-battery (and ground if applicable) with the same size cable running back to the amps.
I'd guess its 4ga or 0ga.

If the problem persists, take the car in and get the alternator tested. You may have a problem with the installation, or voltage regulator.
Also use a multimeter and test the voltage. see if it's steady and at least 13 volts above idle.

Eligh
Unregistered guest
Thanx for the suggestion and Ive had the car hooked up to the machine at the garage and it says 14.6 volts. Is that what you mean?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3403
nah not just a volt meter.
go to a pep boys or auto zone, and ask them to connect the car to their alternator tester.
they can check the output of the alternator under load, not just the idle voltage.
also have the battery and starter tested while you're at it.
it's free.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us