Question on adjusting gain

Unregistered guest
My stereo was working fine, adjusted perfect. Then I changed the alternator to a bigger one with more amps. After changing the alternator the system sounded like crap and the amps kept shutting off. Because of the added power from the new alternator someone said the gain might now be too high since it was originally tuned to a 60amp alternator. So I turned down the gain and it did help but the sound still isnt as good as before. By turning down the gain does that mean that the amplifiers are not putting out as much power as before? How do I get my great sound back?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 142
Well your alternator may be charging too high and that could cause some problems. Turning the gains down does make the amp just not have to work as hard to reproduce the sound. You may want to try to adjust your head unit settings and see if that helps any.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 471
Run a voltmeter across the battery and see what the charge is, both when the car is off and when the alternator is charging the system, so you can see the difference. It may be the voltage regulator, it may not be limiting the voltage enough and you may be overcharging, as the amp can only run within a certain limit. Also, if you haven't, check the alternator ground and wires like I said in your other post. Does the amp sound the same when the car is off? If it does, that could point to another problem, not the alternator.

unhappy
Unregistered guest
davids2004 do you know how to solve the alternator charging too high problem and is it possible to get the same great sound I had back? System is two 12 inch DVC 8ohm subs being pushed by polk momo 300/2 amp. Was sounding like 4 12's.

unhappy
Unregistered guest
Jonathan thanks for the suggestion I'll try using the system with the car off. Was I better off with my old alternator or is there a way to fix the problem and I just havent found the solution?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us