How many amp alternator?

Username: Zbruski

Post Number: 9
I am going to run a JBL 1200.1 at 2 ohms, and an Eclipse PA5422. What size alternator do I need for a 1994 mustang...I think stock it is around 130 amps. I have heard the JBL could pull 130 by itself. I was thinking 200 amps or is this overkill? Also would 4 gauge power wire work for both to the trunk or do I need 2 gauge or larger?

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 118
What is overkill and when i get a new alternator is there something else i have to buy to go along with it like a kit of some sort?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Does anyone have an answer for my question? And Jason why don't you start your own thread.

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 119
Why start one when i can eat off urs CHUMP!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Real tough guy...go find a woman it is better then wasting your time talking trash to me over a computer

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3405
alternator sizing:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=23.topic

zbruski, be polite please. maybe he talks trash here because he can't get women. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Ok so according the all of the calculations I need a 168 amps to run the stereo amps. What headroom do I need for all of the stock things ie., coil, headlights, interior/exterior lights, etc.?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3414
add 170A to your stock alternator size.
most stock are between 70-90A.
You can reduce the size of the alternator some as well, if you don't plan to run teh audio system at full volume, or at least not for more than a few moments.
remembera "1200 watt RMS" amplifier only puts out 1200 watts (and draws 115A of current) at peak output. every time you go down 10dB (halve the volume) you reduce power by a factor of ten.
needless to say, you can reduce the current draww massively by turning down the volume.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3415
add 170A to your stock alternator size.
most stock are between 70-90A.
You can reduce the size of the alternator some as well, if you don't plan to run teh audio system at full volume, or at least not for more than a few moments.
remembera "1200 watt RMS" amplifier only puts out 1200 watts (and draws 115A of current) at peak output. every time you go down 10dB (halve the volume) you reduce power by a factor of ten.
needless to say, you can reduce the current draw massively by turning down the volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us