WTF is my system doing?

Username: Jdogg2121

Post Number: 5
Ok I have 2 12" kicker L5's with a JBL 1200.1 mono amp. I wired them before at a 4 ohm load and i realized that this wasnt loud enough and i wanted more bass, so i wired them at 2 ohm load and used both sets of terminals which then the amp would internally bridge to a 1 ohm load and i would then have 1200 watt rms to each sub. The system just isnt loud at all 1200 watt rms for the amp and the subs are rated at 600 watt rms so this should blow the subs out of the box but instead i dont even get that much bass at all. WTF is this system doing? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7358
Sounds like you have the subs wired incorrectly.

I am guessing you have the JBL BP1200.1...right? If so, that amp will produce 1200-1400wrms (given you have the electrical system to support it)

It will not give EACH sub 1200w.
It will produce ~1200w TOTAL (600 per sub).

Answer these questions and I will try to help you out:

What voice coils do you subs have? (DVC4 or DVC2?)
How exactly do you have your subs wired?
What size power and ground wire do you have?

What box and vehicle do you have?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10169
You can't have had those wired to 4 ohms and then to 2 ohms haha.

Depending on what coils they are, one of those is not possible.

Username: Jdogg2121

Post Number: 6
Yes I have the JBL BP1200.1. I have a 1998 Chevy S10 and the box is a sealed box. The subs are DVC4 (to the best of my knowledge) and i have them wired like this.Upload
I was told that that wiring them like this would make the amp internally bridge them to 1ohm and i would get the full 1200 wrms. The wire is pretty big i think that it is like 4 guage. The subs are wired with a stinger 1.0 fared cap as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us