Best Amp For 2 Alpine Type -R's

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 850
Somthing thats not overlly expensive but will give me decent quality and get all of the rms out of each sub. These are dual v/c 2 ohm. Also with a mono amp how would i wire them. And what would my ohm load be after wired up. I know alot of people have had these subs in the past and alot of experince with these subs so give me your best suggestions.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=14955

Username: Memoriesofmotion

Post Number: 1
KENWOOD KAC-9104D I was running the 1000watt (max) version of this amp on one 12" type R and it made my hair shake so the 1800w(max) should be good for your 2 12s. http://www.millionbuy.com/kenkac9104d.html

I know you didn't ask, but make sure your box is big enough or close. I had 2 12" Rs in a small box and then I switched 1 in the correct sized box and it sounded louder then having 2.

You can hook them up two ways. The first witch I recommend is running running the voice coils in series making each sub 4 ohms then running the two subs in parallel making the circuit 2 ohms getting the amp to push 1800w.

The other way witch I DONT recommend is running the voice coils in parallel (1ohm per sub) and the subs in series (2ohms for the circuit) I have herd that the subs dont run equal but that might be BS. Still though I don't recommend this way.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1404
that kenwood will not put out 1800W. peak watts does not work that way.
i would go with something a little bigger than that amp. look for something that does around 1500 at 2 ohm. u could always get the aq2200 and run it at half ohm.

i dno't think anthony has all his info right.
u can wire the sub at .5 ohm, 2 ohm or 8 ohm

i know kicker makes a lot of amps that are 2 ohm

give this a little time and im sure some one will give u a link to a good amp for it

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1807
kicker zx1000.1 would work great

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1406
it would

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14775
for a budget http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm ...

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1810
he has dual 2s rovin

Post Number: 2
Ok, a sub that has 2, 2 ohm voice coils works like this: the voice coils can be hooked in series or parallel. Series will give you 4 ohms because you add the resistance together 2 ohms plus 2 ohms. Parallel would give you 1 ohm because you would divide the ohms by the number of coils you have in parallel 2(ohms)/2(coils in paralel)= 1ohm for the circuit.

Im assuming that the box you are putting them in has separate chambers for each sub because that works best. So you would take each sub and hooks its voice coils up in series making each sub in essence look like a 4 ohm sub. Then take each 4 ohm sub (2+2 ohm sub) and hook them in parallel to your amp giving you 2 ohms because:

4ohms (sub runs like because of the series 2 ohm voice coils) divided by the number of subs your running witch is 2 gives the circuit a resistance or 2 ohms so the amp can run at 2 ohms.

Nah, the kenwood does peek at 1800w and RMS at 900w at 2ohms. So your running each sub at about 450w RMS witch is just under the 500w sub RMS rating. I know this because Crutchfield posted it and they are very adamant about there information being correct.

link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC9104/Kenwood-KAC-9104D.html?tp=115&tab=features_and_specs

I mean the alpines are interesting in that they RMS at 500w and max out at 1500w but In my experience of running the DVC 4ohm version of this sub for 3 years, I have seen that they can put out crazy bass with 450 to 500watts. Also, running them for so long, I have seen that if you stick to the RMS or right under it with these subs, they will last forever. Thats whats nice about that corrugated surround.

The reasons I say go for the Kenwood is because 1 it is cheep, 2 it hits hard, 3 they are indestructible, and 4 they look nice to the eye.

I have 2 of there 4 channels, 2 of there 2 channels, and one of there Mono Class D amps (not all in one car). I'm not proud of it but I have dropped them so many times it not funny. I even mounted the class D on the back of the sub box witch is something your never supposed to do and its been running fine with no problems at all. They just don't brake.

Im not saying kenwood is the best. Just saying that I have personal experience with that thoes subs hooked to thoes amps and they worked really well.

}

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14777
oh crap i missed seeing he has dual 2s

then get a kicker zx series amp ...

Post Number: 3
I know they can be hooked up as .5 but they can also be .8, 1.5 but no one uses .5, .8, 1.5, very much to the amp because of the weird voice coil configurations unless your going JL 3ohm coils. So I didn't think to mention it.

The thing about the kicker zx1000.1 is that its a great amp but almost double the price for only an extra 50watts rms to each sub. But then again, kicker under raids there amps a lot more then kenwood so the kicker might get like 1100 watts RMS where as the kenwood might only get like 930 watts.

The 1100 watts should be ok for thoes alpines cuz they max at 1500watts so now it all depends on how much you are looking to spend. But ether way, good luck man you will enjoy those subs. Just dont beat the crap out of them and they will last forever.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1454
anthony...why are you looking at the PEAK watts of the sub???

PEAK = JACK SH!T

look only aat the rms man...just the rms

Post Number: 4
Dood, I look at the peak so you dont start melting stuff and because I was talking to the some one about it. Abarca dood, you need to chill.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1456
im chilled out, im just tellin you that PEAK WATTS means absolutely nothingg. Only go by the RMS.

Post Number: 5
Your wrong, for regular use, to get longevity out of your subs, you don't want your amps max power over your subs max power. Don't want to melt or damage your subs.

I dont understand what the problem is. The subs together run at 1000 RMS and the amp I was showing ran at 900 RMS. Is there any need to argue with me about something?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1813
MAX power does not matter one bit - it shouldnt even be considered

dont give advice unless you know what you are talking about

Post Number: 6
ok then how about this. Why dont you hook up a sub with a max power of 500 watts to an amp with a max power of 2000 watts. Lets see how long that lasts. Go for it dood im sure it will turn out fine for you.

Post Number: 7
As a matter of fact, why dont you just take your woofer and hook it up to the AC I bet thats a great idea.

Post Number: 8
I assume you dont know this, but some amps have a Max power that is more then twice there RMS and so instead of 500watts RMS and 1000watts MAX it will crank out 500 RMS and 1200 MAX. Notice that it is 200. Do you understand? Not great for your sub.

Post Number: 9
Back to what is important, did you get what you needed to know Pimp?

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2777

quote:

Why dont you hook up a sub with a max power of 500 watts to an amp with a max power of 2000 watts. Lets see how long that lasts.

MAX power has nothing to do with it. Now if you have a 500 RMS SUB and a 2000RMS amp, then you might have a problem if you adjust your gains for that full 2000rms.

Max power is simply a marketing gimic. It makes the people who don't have a clue think they are getting something amazing.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1814
you are an idiot

Post Number: 10
And that makes the amp I recommended back because?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1408
anthony! if what ur saying is true then i can get a sony xplode at walmart (peak 2000!) and hook it up to my old BL and set the gain

and ur saying that the xplod 300 rms (or what ever it is) will burn up my bl because its peak power is to high? WRONG!

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1409
anthony... y don't u go get some of ur max power amps and clamp them and tell me if u ever get max power out of them. problem solved. because u wont

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14784
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/speakerpwr.html .....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2779

quote:

anthony... y don't u go get some of ur max power amps and clamp them and tell me if u ever get max power out of them.

How are you going to tell how much power an amplifier is putting out just by how many amps it is drawing?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Um, i never said that you get max power out of them guys.... What i did say is that the Type Rs will run fine at 450 watts RMS. And that the max of the amp should not go over the max of the sub. I dont see why that is so bad. Sure the amp wont hit what its rated for, but thats good if you want your subs to last long.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Also, [...Rovin...]'s link told me this. "When pairing an amplifier and speaker or speakers, you should try to match the amplifier's power output to about 80% of the RMS rating of the speakers, at the load they'll present to the amplifier." So actually the kenwood running at 900W RMS and 450W to each woofer would be better vs the kickers 500 per speaker.

Us arguing is not important to the thread. Pimp needs to know about some cheap but good amps. So far there have been like 3 amps listed and im the only one that said anything about wiring so why don't we get back to topic.

More amps anyone?

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1458
rms vs. peak

rms=worthy information
peak=means NOTHINGGGGG!!!!

if you want your sub to have good logevity then match the RMS of the sub to the RMS of the amp, NOT THE PEAK.

moral of the story: PEAK means nothing and match RMS for sub/amp combo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yea Abarca I kinda know that. Kicker under raids there amps so a 1000watt RMS amp will put out like 1150 or 1200 RMS. Witch goes over the rms of the alpine. We good so far?

Now stick with me here cuz this gets tough to understand.....

They alpines RMS is 500 and the MAX is 1500. You see how the MAX power is strangely not the normal twice as much as the RMS? Thats because they can get there max excursion at 500watts no reason to go over 500. But they are also really good at getting rid of heat 1500 watts of heat to be accurate. Meaning if you were going to go a little over the RMS of a sub, this alpine would be the one to do it with.

But as [...Rovin...]'s link says, its better to have the amps RMS about 80% of the subs RMS. So the Kenwood would probably be the best bet. Because it runs at 900watts RMS.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1459
dude...hahah whatever man im not gonna fight with someone who is clearly wrong about PEAK and RMS...

whatever man. i just hope no one takes your advice on here...

You can put 1000RMS to a type-r and it will still perform fine, if you know what your doing. this isnt even worth my time to fight with you cuz your ignorant

Gold Member

Post Number: 2780

quote:

Thats because they can get there max excursion at 500watts no reason to go over 500.

Moron. The excursion of a sub has more to do with the vehicle and the box than power.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 450
Haha, wow. I really needed a good laugh, Thanks Anthony!!!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2454
alright f*ck ecoustics. these noobs are killing me. anthony stfu.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14787
u guys r making a big deal about nothing

usually when i rec a amp i rec about 20% more than sub rating so if its 1000wrms i say get a 1200wrms amp ...better to have headroom on the amp than have it working "maximum"

also any good quality sub will take more than rated wrms but i def dont rec 1.5-2 times more than rated for long playing ....shortens life of the sub

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1410
THIS IS A BIG DEAL! I POSTED IN THIS THREAD AND I WAS NOT THE ONE THAT WAS HATED!!!!!!!!!!...

at least for now

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2456
dont worry, we still all hate you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
So are we all agreed on the kenwood for his amp? Running the subs at 450 rms? For $160?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1816
no - i would not recommend kenwood for an amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Then Kicker zx1000.1?

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2459
then gtfo?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
then STFU? Sir these are the interwebs no GTFO aloud!

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2461
sure there is.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1414
i would get the kicker unless he is really trying to save money. the funny thing is i don't even think he has looked at thie thread at all after he posted. and if he has he will prolly just give up on ecoustics

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2462
something i wish you did...

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1415
i would get the kicker unless he is really trying to save money. the funny thing is i don't even think he has looked at thie thread at all after he posted. and if he has he will prolly just give up on ecoustics

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2432
Kicker zx1000.1

And anthony, RMS is just the thermal powering handle for a certain amount of time. You could feed that sub the whole 1500w in the right enclosure, but only for a really short time.

Any you can still ruin a sub even below the RMS power, but you would really have to try or just be a pure retard lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You guys are a_$_$ holes, i think im going to like it here

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 942

quote:

awesome... blk x2

Gold Member

Post Number: 2781

quote:

I just like correction. That is how you learn :-)

I do hope you like it here though.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11201
Anthony > Snow > Jules

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3578
This Anthony guys a dumbazz lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »