What am i doing wrong?

Username: Jdogg2121

Post Number: 1
I have a JBL BP1200.1 mono amp wired to two kicker L5's in a sealed box, the amp is cranked all the way up and i cant even hear the subs outside my car. Now i know that this is a prob because 1200 watt rms should blow these subs after a while because they are only rated for 600 rms. I dont know what the problem is i kinda have an idea that im running at 4ohms instead of 2 which would give me a lot less power to the subs, but i just dont know. I have read reviews on this amp and people say that this is one of the best amps that they have ever owned but in my case i dont see this. Can some please help me and explain what i am doing wrong and maybe tell me how to wire my subs as 2 ohms. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2354
well first of all those subs arent usually the best sealed. And second of all, who cares what it sounds like on the outside, does it sound good on the inside?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 449
by saying you have it "cranked" all the way up do you mean the gain? if so turn it down ALOT. Do you have dual 4ohm subs? if so you need to look in to getting a 1ohm stable amp. AQ1200d

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 121
If your subs are currently running at 4 ohms you probably have 4 ohm dvc subs, which means you can not run them to an amplifier at 2 ohms, only 4 and 1 ohm. Tell us the specs on the amp, and what voice coil resistance you have on the subs.

Post Number: 2
The specs to the amp can be found here http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-JBL-BP1200-1. Im pretty sure that it can run at 1 ohm like you have stated. Im also pretty sure that the subs are 4 ohm dvc. Is this stated on the sub itself because i bought them used and they are like 4 years old an i can find the specs. Also if these are 4 ohm dvc how to i run them at 1 ohm as you have stated which would give the full 1200 watt rms that i am looking for. thanks

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 122
I dont see anywhere where it states 1 ohm power or the minimum independence rating of the amplifier, which leads me to believe that it is only 2 ohm stable.
If you take the subs out of the enclosure it may state some info on it such as model, VC and rms. IF you have a DMM just take them out and use that to find the resistance of the voice coils.
If that is indeed 1 ohm stable then you would wire your subwoofers in parallel to achieve a 1 ohm load.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

Post Number: 3
This is what i found on a website which states that this amp can run a 1 ohm load. I have another question about the speaker outputs? I have 4, 2 pos and 2 neg this is a mono amp so that means that if i have both subs wired to all 4 outputs such as 1 subs to pos and neg and the same with the other this is going to be 1200 watt rms to each sub right? Well i guess im trying to say should i wire the subs together to make the 1 ohm and just use one set of the outputs on the amp or just wire each sub at 1 ohm and use all four outputs. thanks

JBL BP1200.1

← home

1 x 600W @ 4 ohms
1 x 1200W @ 2 ohms or 1 ohm
S/N Ratio: >90dB
Freq. Response: 10Hz ∼ 320Hz
THD+N: 0.1%
Max. Current Draw: 114A
Fuse: 3 x 40A
Dimensions: 14.8" x 10.8" x 2.7" (37.6cm x 27.4cm x 6.75cm)
Manufactured in 1999 - 2004

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 124
If you are trying to achieve a 1 ohm load you can do it 2 diffrent ways. First is the way in the link from my last post, use only 1 pair of outputs for that. The other way is to wire each to 2 ohms, then put each subwoofer on a pair of outputs. the amp will internally bridge to 1 ohm if you do that, so you end up with the same result. It is just for whatever is most convenient for you.

Post Number: 4
so if i wire both like this then put each sub in a set of outputs then the amp will bridge internally to 1 ohm. thanks

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us