Going under nominal impedance ratings

Username: Notw000

Post Number: 6
I am currently running an alpine mrd-m1000. alpine says the amp is stable down to 2ohms but i want to take it down to .5ohms. of course im going to try to push just a little over the rated 1000wrms by setting the gain very very low.

i am, if this whole thing is even possible, going to take the gain up in small increments, until i see the temp start to rise, and try to find a happy medium where the amp doesnt burn and i get more power out of it.

can it work?? here is a link to the specs on the mrd-m1000----->http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRDM100/Alpine-MRD-M1000.html

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1725
a lot of 1 ohm amps struggle at 1/2.
I would expect the Alpine to go into over current protection almost immediately.

Ohms law:
I=sqrt(P/R)

1000w @ 2 ohms = Sqrt(1000/2) = 22.4A
1000w @ .5 ohms = Sqrt(1000/.5) = 44.7A

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9868
Thats a good way to blow up that amp. Or if the protection works properly it just won't work.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12437
1.33 ohms is about the lowest nominal load I'd run on a 2 ohm stable Alpine.
The reason is if the nom. load is 2 ohms, it can play as low as about 1 ohm or lower for brief periods as you play frequencies close to the Fs of the driver, dependant on the enclosure, too.
Anyway, if you want to run a half ohm load, buy an amp rated for that load, like an older Orion HCCA series amp (1200HCCA from the sounds of your needs)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us