Alternate source of power?

Username: Samdemler

Post Number: 7
Was just wondering if there is a way to have an alternate source of power, power your subs.. Like say you have your battery hooked up to an amp which already powers your 4 indoor speakers and don't want your amp that powers your subs to be hooked up to your car battery.. any options?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19739
Well simply put, in a car what other source of power IS there other than your battery? You could have multiple batteries but they would ultimately be charged off the same source. If you're worried about excessive draw then start with a larger main battery, followed by the big three and bigger alt.

If you can find a way to power your subs without involving a battery then you my friend are too smart for this forum lol.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9622
Power is supplied by the alternator. The battery is a reserve.

You can run 2 batteries with an isolator. But they would both be charged by the same source, the alternator.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19742
No car can run without a battery. RECHARGING the battery is supplied by the alternator.

It's kinda like a bank account. Your job is like your alternator, replacing what you take. Your spending habits (car audio) along with your cars' normal draws are your bills. Spend more than you make and eventually trouble results.

It's all economics.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12383
The alternator is the main source of current in a car when the engine is running.
the alternator voltage is higher above engine idle than that of the car's battery, so the battery is in a charge state ideally, whenever the car is running.
The main purpose of a car battery is to start the car's engine, and to smooth the voltage output of the voltage regulator.
you can run a car engine just fine without the battery. It's done at dragstrips fairly often.

That said, you can run multiple alternators, although it is a lot of work and expense to do so.
The alternative is one large alternator 200A+, depending on the stock alternator output, and as noted, use a battery isolator and a bank of deep cycle batteries dedicated to the audio system.
The batteries and alternator will work together to supply the current that way, and even if you do kill the bank of deep cycles, the car will still start just fine via the battery under the hood used as a starter battery, because it never "sees" the audio system thanks to the isolator.

Username: Jumbo23

Post Number: 3
So..I'm just trying to get a straight answer from someone who knows what the hell there talking about. I own a Yukon Denali with 2 subs and a JL 1000/1 amp. My problem --- dimming lights when I turn it up. I've heard everything from get a capacitor, to replace my current battery(high cranking), to get a second battery(yellow top), to get a higher amp alternator. So which is it??? Can anyone tell me what would be my best option??

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12428
high output alternator, and a larger battery such as a Kinetic or Odyssey would be ideal.
The capacitor will only help to filter AC ripple. the battery helps when the car is turned off. the alternator supplies the current when the engine is running.

see www.bcae1.com for details on how the charging system works if you wish to educate yourself on the topic instead of asking others to tell ya what to do. your call.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9792
Yep, HO alternator and battery.

Post Number: 4
Got any recommendations on types of both? Wouldn't upgrading the stock alt. from 105 amp to a 145 amp make a difference? What price range am I looking at? Thanks for the advice!!

Post Number: 5
Thinking about getting another amp. Can anyone tell me about Hifonics amps. Thinking of replacing my current JL 1000.1 amp with a Hifonics Bx2008D amp. The Hifonics amp get 650-2000 watt/rms range. Which do you think is better? Any advice would grateful!!

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12431
if the stock alternator is 105A, your car alone probably uses about 60-70A of current max, plus figure about 100+A peak draw for that JL amp, so you want something in the 165-200A range to be on the safe side for alternator output
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us