Ho alt not enough

Username: Thunderkat

Post Number: 2
hi u have a jl audio 1000/1v2 amp and 3 fosgate p2 15's in a plymouth breeze .just bought a ho alt 225 amps. lights still dim and engine stalls down.and help or ideas would be greatly apprecated.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 338
Have you replaced the factory battery? Have you done the big 3 upgrade? If not doing these would be highly beneficial.

Post Number: 3
yes i have a optima yellow top.and the big 3 2 gauge wire.i also have a 1 fared audiobahn capacitor.would another battery in trunk help?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12362
pull the main fuse to the amp and see if the car still has issues with stalling at idle.

Put the electrical system on a voltmeter to see what it's showing when these problems happen.

Post Number: 4
tried it.the car runs fine without amp hooked up electrical runs at 14.4.the amp needs a 100amp fuse in line.it keeps blowing them so i put a 125amp breaker on.it's the stangest thing i have ever seen.going 2 try hawker odyssey battery pc2150s if it doesent fix it.i guess i'm in real trouble.

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12370
amp may have an internal short drawing excessive current.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9550
electrical system is NOT the problem........

If the amp keeps blowing its fuse the problem is THE AMP.

Post Number: 6
ok set amp.gain was 2 high.no more blown fuses.lights still dim.would 0 gauge wire on the big 3 help?and any ideas on extra power?battery vs capacitor.if so what brand thanks 4 all ur help

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9603
You mean you put in a HO alt without doing big 3???? Not only is that just plain dumb its extremely dangerous... stock wires do not handle that kind of current.

And lets see, crap EA alt, crap optima battery, capacitor..... not much we can do with that pile of fail.

Post Number: 8
o.k. genius if u could read!u would see i did big 3 2 gauge wire.and as 4 crap why don't u buy me something that's not crap!!u piece of crap!all i wanted was a little advice not sarcasam .

and lets see hooked on phonics just might work 4 u m.s. [momas sissy]

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9620
Upload

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12384
Frito, you're still missing what we've been saying.
The amplifier seems to be the problem. Take it into a shop and have it checked out on a bench to see if it's drawing more current than it should due to an internal short circuit.

Post Number: 9
ok got car checked.amp not problem.they put 2/0 gauge wire big 3 and 2 amp.every thing is lovly.no lights dimming and hits so hard knoked windows of track.thanks 4 ur help!Upload

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12392
OK then it was just a bottleneck on the current to the amp.. good deal.

Post Number: 10
thanks again 4 help.any idea on a good battery [secondary] no crap?

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12397
Odyssey has good batteries in the deep cycle catagory but you'll want to isolate it with a battery isolator rated for equal to or greater than the current output of your alternator, if the battery is for the audio system as a second unit.
any RV shop or on-line should have the isolators for relatively cheap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us