Adding A Battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Raydizzle34

Post Number: 11
Hey all,

I have installed the Kenwood KDC-X492 head unit, Kenwood KAC-9104D amp, 4 Kenwood KFC-C6882ie speakers, and 2 Kenwood KFC-W3011 Subs in my Ford Ranger.

I like to listen to my music loud and the bass hits pretty hard but my headlights and instrument panel lights dim when the bass hits and I wanted to ask you guys if I added another battery to my truck if it would help get rid of this issue.

I also plan on adding another 4 channel amp for my speakers in the future.

If the battery would help, would I be able to just wire it into the existing electrical or would I need to dedicate the whole audio system to it?

And finally how would I go about putting the battery in wiring-wise?

Thanks guys!

-Ray

Bronze Member
Username: Kissdaredevil

Post Number: 58
get a H.O. alternator, or add a second alternator and run a second battery off that.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9389
HO alternator would be the solution. However, most everything kenwood makes is not very good.

Their amps are terriably inefficient. Better amplifiers that draw less current may be the only fix you need.

Username: Twistedmetal214

San jose, California

Post Number: 8
yeh m.s is right but all you really need to do is buy a good Capacitor....that will make sure all the power from the battery is evenly distributed amoung the car.........that will solve your problem

Username: Erbgottie

M-Town, Upper Cackal... US

Post Number: 3
I have a Rocfkord T2 15 hooked to a T10001BD amp as well as 4 RF 6X8's hooked to a RF T400.4 amp and a pair of tweets hooked to a RF T200.2 amp in the '04 ranger. I put in a HO 200amp alt and added a Stinger dry cell and I've had no problem with lights dimming at all. Also, the BIG 3 is done and prob helps more then the rest of those upgrades. I like my music loud too and it gets loud as hell w/o that dimming BS.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2248
"all you really need to do is buy a good Capacitor....that will make sure all the power from the battery is evenly distributed amoung the car.........that will solve your problem"

1. Capacitors are usually just a waste of money.
2. "Amoung" is not a word.

With the amount of power you are running, try upgrading just your stock battery and doing the Big 3. If that doesn't work then do a H.O. alternator.
Anyone disagree? (mainly asking m.s. since he is better with electrical)

What year is your ranger? Do you know what size alt you currently have?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9395
Lmao that alex guy could not be any more wrong.

Either get the alternator + battery or get better amps...... I'd get a good amp first.

Bronze Member
Username: Raydizzle34

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the info...

I have a 2000 Ranger w/ a stock alternator and I replaced the stock battery last year with one of the same rating. (It was before I put the system in)

Thanks!

Username: Staffsgtspaz

Post Number: 4
I just started a system and I have the main power to the 2 10' kickers with a big marine battery in the trunk. Its best to use a seperate power supply becouse it will take less strain. In other words, if you hook it to the car battery itself, it will be starved of its potential peaks. A seperate battery gives it all the juice it needs and all you got to do is charge it every now and then. A new battery is the best way to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us