8w7 amp?

Username: Surfmore72

Post Number: 1
ok so i know what your thinking...an 8 inch sub?! this guys a joke! but bear with me. i want decent bass from a small package and understand this is a good way to go. its a single voice coil w7 3ohm sub. so what do i power it with? do i need a 3ohm amp? and if so where can i find one? i have heard that i could get away with a 4ohm amp...but i dont know. i would hate to spend a bunch of money and not have this thing live up to its abilities...or die on me for that matter. jl does make d class amps that say they put out watts from 1.5 to 4ohm's... is this something i should be looking for?

Silver Member
Username: Dlavante

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 160
you can use whatever you desire so long as its within the subs power rating at that resistance. id look for an amp that puts out enough rms power for that sub at 4ohms... and ive had multiple small subs that got loud before. 8w7 will definitly have suprising output for a small sub if its in the correct enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1696
the JL 500/1 is what JL would tell you to get, and it will do a good job, but you can probably save quite a bit of money by looking for a 2 ohm stable mono amp that's 600-800w at 2 ohms. It will produce slightly less power at 3 ohms.

I would advise against a standard 2 ch amp that's bridgable to 4 ohms. A good quality one will probably do it, but it would be running under more stress than it's designed for.

The kicker zx750.1 would work real well. It's $300 shipped at sonicelectronix.com

Infinity 1600A (about 220)

JBL GTO7001 (about 250)

Plenty of other options.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9283
I second the kicker

And yea you need a amp stable at 3 or less ohms, so probably a 2 ohm amp.

Bronze Member
Username: That_guy_u_dont_know

Kaplan, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 52
better deal on that kicker zx750.1 on
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5508766/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

there u go 227 + a lil for shipping 08 amp very nice
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us