Low power to amp, need help

Bronze Member
Username: Blkbville04

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 32
My friend has 2 kicker comps running on a 500W Crunch P500.2. He was driving the other night and stopped, and then the amp shut off and wouldnt turn back on. He brought it over and I checked all the connections, they are all good, the only thing that surprised me was that the amp was only receiving 5 volts of power, but the connection of the wire to the battery was putting out 14 volts. The wire is run under the car because it was easiest to hook up that way. He hasnt had a problem with it for about 2 months now, any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading - Brian

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9231
Probably a bad ground connection.

Also check the fuse holder and the power wire for any damage.

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 33
The ground was fine, and the fuse was still intact as well as everything connected to it, but well check the power for damage, thanks for the feedback man

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9245
How do you know the gorund is fine did you to it somewhere else

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 35
the ground has been good for about 2 months and the wire is still in perfect shape and is hooked up very tightly

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9247
Then you don't actually know its good..... try grounding somewhere else. Ground has to be to bare metal not through paint.

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 37
i know that, the ground is on pure metal with no paint on the screw or anywhere else it is touching, ill try grounding it somewhere else though just in case

Username: Jlssecurity

Manchester, Uk Lancashire

Post Number: 3
Have you tried using your test meter to check the voltage along the positive power feed cable? Use a pin to `pr1ck` the insulation and attatch meter probe this way. My money is on the fuse holder. Prove this by probing the cable on either side of the holder and see what reading you get.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1710
test voltage immediately in front of and behind the main fuse holder with the amp on and off.

I had one fail once with no visible signs of a problem.

Username: Jlssecurity

Manchester, Uk Lancashire

Post Number: 5
Have you tried using your test meter to check the voltage along the positive power feed cable? Use a pin to `pr1ck` the insulation and attatch meter probe this way. } My money is on the fuse holder. Prove this by probing the cable on either side of the holder and see what reading you get.

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 47
Well as Ian said is was the fuse holder, we swapped it out for one of my old ones and works like a charm. Actually just yesterday we made a nice box for his new L5 and new crunch P1100.2 amp, works like a charm. Thanks for all your input guys i appreciate it alot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us