First car audio system

Username: Take_it_deep

Post Number: 1
OK so I plan on getting a ALPINE Type-R SWR-1242D sub and running it off a Alpine MRP-M1000, and the question is, would the amp be overkill for the sub, as in would i really need the power from the amp or should i downgrade?
Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 102
That sub has a 500wrms and dual 4ohms coils, which can be wired to a 2 or 8 ohm load (wiring to 8ohms not recomended for this application). That amp will put out 1000 watts at 2ohms, which seems a tad much to me.

As far as the alpine line goes the MRP-M500 seems to be about right.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-M500

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8946
That amp is perfect for that sub..... you can put ~750w to that sub with no problem and then you still have power to spare......

it's rediculous how many people don't understand this but a YOU CAN NOT HAVE TOO MUCH EXTRA POWER. It is a good thing to have.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 105
He asked about a certain sub/amp combo. I gave my imput. But your right there is nothing wrong with power to spare. I was simply trying to save him a little money with the smaller amp. My reasoning was that the m500 would do the job just fine and the m1000 would not be being used to full potential .Theres sbout $100 dollars difference between those two (online anyway).

Just my .02

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18919
"it's rediculous how many people don't understand this but a YOU CAN NOT HAVE TOO MUCH EXTRA POWER. It is a good thing to have."

As long as they are smart/responsible with it. Put a teenager behind the wheel of a 500hp sports car.......

Username: Raydizzle34

Post Number: 8
I like all of your teenager/college kid analogies... LoL

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18932
Just take it from those who failed in the past and learned lol.

Oh God let's not open the marriage saga.....

Post Number: 2
Cheers for all the help!

However might just go with the MRP-M500 seeing as my budgets fairly limited

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14397
i have seen\heard 1 of those Rs on that amp & while it will take it IMO i wouldnt advise it , get a amp closer to 750-800wrms

u can use that 1k alpine amp but just dont turn up the vol too high so that u dont risk facking it up ...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14398
if u get a 15" type R though it will run good off that amp ...

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1320
paul always has the best scenarios/analogies

Post Number: 3
Hmmmm well taking the new information as well as my fairly tight budget into account, what do you think about these? http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/CH1500D.aspx http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/XM-GTR6001.aspx http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/1Fd1500.aspx
they seem to fit the specs near perfectly, however im not shure about whether or not these brands make for good amps

Also cheers to all that have taken the time to help me out!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8970
To put it bluntly those are all complete sh!t and will not produce anywhere near the power they claim.

Post Number: 4
even so, they must at least be step up from the MRP-M500 right?

Bronze Member
Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 74
No, All 3 of those are crap. Alpine has great quality amps, and they are recognized for that. Boss, Sony and soundstorm are all bad brands for car audio. It would be better to wait a little more and save up for quality parts that wont catch on fire while your driving down the road. that MRP-500 will be great for that sub, but if you want to upgrade then you will need a new amp. If you want to you could save up for something like the MRP-1000 and just run it at 4 ohms for 600wrms, or the AQ1200d and run that at 2 ohms until you get another sub, then run it at 1 ohm. Alpine is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
If you plan on upgrading to 2 subs sometime int he future, and want to run them at one ohm you must get the 4 ohm dvc versions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us