Lets see what you guys think

Username: Harrymacpot

Post Number: 1
i've been reading a lot of threads on here about how people need help with wire sizes and alternator problems, so heres my ?.

say if i were to upgrade my alt. to a 200amp and do the big 3 w/ 1 gauge wire.

would it not be better to run 2 or even 3 1 gauge wires to and from each destination instead of running just one, to reach full output.

i dont see how it could be a problem to do so

so just let me know your opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8712
For the big 3 it is overkill and not needed since those wires are short, one wire is fine.

But when running the length of the car, sure you could run multiple wires.... it can't hurt anything. Just make sure they are all properly fused.

Username: Faroutdesign

St.ptersburg, Florida Usa

Post Number: 8
it would only matter if you have different gauge wire sizes and ones in which are not large enough for the draw example 2 8 gauge and a six gauge. 8 gauge is good for about 40 amps and a six is good up to about 80 amps theres about 160 amps passible - heat and resistance however if a crappy fuse blows and you loose a feed extra power might be forced through a feed then you blow multiple fuses. besides you shouldnt need anything larger than 1 gauge per alternator running to extra battery because you would need excess of 250 amps per alt and most competition alts push around 175 -225 amps max unless your nuts like me trying to built those 350's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us