Quick amp question

Username: Gnarkiller

Selah, Wa Usa

Post Number: 2
K I have two hifonics hfi12d4 12" subs that each put out 300 rms at 4 ohms (which is bs)

I have a power acoustik plasma sphere hooked up to them and it puts out 150 x2 rms which is also bs... from my understanding they are way underpowered and i am getting unclean bumpage. i mainly listen to metal though.

looking to hook up that amp (the PA ts620-2) to the 6 1/2 type R components and keep the gain down. gonna run the hu to the rear speakers and keep them uber low.

I am almost set on ordering a hifonics TXi 6408 which can run 340 rms x2 when bridged. fir the subs of course

Will this work out ok? should I get a new amp for the type R comps as well???

the jerk at diamond audio told me that the titan (txi 6408) will be way too much power for the subs but that seems to be agaian, a load of bs.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6611
what are your subs, dual or single 4ohm vc? and why do you seem stuck on getting a 2 channel amp? just get a nice mono amp that'll do 600wrms at whatever load you need it at.

Selah, Wa Usa

Post Number: 3
well they are dual 4 ohm vc. why do I keep thinking mono amps are on ran at 1 ohm and 1 channel??? they are class D right? I thought I reseached that stuff but apparently not.

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=HFI12D4 thats pretty much the sub. that might be a newer model but the specs are the same. I payed $75 per sub...

can you update a noob on mono amps and link me to a few suggestions? I already called crutchfield a couple times and bugged them haha

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1631
Your pair of dvc 4's can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms individually or 1, 4 or 16 ohms as a pair.

A mono amp that will give you 600w or so at 1 ohm would work well with them.
As well as a 2 channel that bridges to around 600w at 4 ohms. If you want to go with hifonics the 6008 fits your need a lot better than the 6408.
The 1008 would be a good choice too - you'd just want to be careful with the gain to keep the power at a safe level for your subs.

Selah, Wa Usa

Post Number: 4
K now we are getting somewhere. Since A mono amp would work good what are my options??? I really dont know how a mono amp works on 2 channels because I get confused on how the specs are.

So if I bought a 600w rated, mono, class D amp. I can send 300 into 2 channels, how does the wiring work? is that bridged? Also how am I supposed to know when Im passed the rated power?

A class D is the way to go correct?

Once I KNOW I got the right, and best option I will be set because I am going to pay a professional to do it and watch him so I can learn all I can from it.

thanks bro's

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1634
you don't need 2 channels for subs which is why I suggested a mono, and mono's don't bridge. You just wire the subs to the appropriate impedance and the amp does the rest.
With a mono that does 600w at 1 ohm and your subs wired like this...
Upload

Each sub will see 300w.

If you end up with an amp that's more powerful than the subs -- you'll know they're getting enough power simply by listening to them. Subs tend to let you know they're stressing in the way they sound.
Put in a CD you like with some bass - make sure the gain is set to its min (quietest), make sure any bass boost is off, set the LPF to 80hz or so and turn the HU to about 3/4 volume then increase the gain until you hear something that doesn't sound quite right and turn it back down a hair. That will give you a good baseline gain setting.

Selah, Wa Usa

Post Number: 5
alright! I was looking around and it would be ideal to a mono amp rated at 650-1ohm. having an amp with a tad bit more power makes more sense to me.

I am about ready to buy the Hifonics BXi608... having a rated 600 watt amp seems sketchy. I have heard they have been known to lie about rms a little and that aint cool! I know that hifonics is known for their amps though which is why I am almost set on buying a hifonics amp.

If I shouldnt buy this amp for any reason let me know! I want to make a purchase by tomorrow night.

and thanks a bunch optidriven!

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1635
honestly there would be so little difference between the two it's not something that's really worth worrying about.
The little HF should work fine. If you decide later on you want more power ebay is your friend :-)

Selah, Wa Usa

Post Number: 6
wow I should have know that... Im a guitar player and when somebody told me that you basicly have multiply the wattage by ten to actually be TWICE as loud I said screw it im sticking with my crate blue voodoo 60 watt head.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us