Amp power question

Bronze Member
Username: Hqh17

US

Post Number: 16
i have an amp with a total fuse rating of 80 amps. the total wattage rating is 1200 watts RMS (2x600). i bought a wiring kit that came with 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp fuse (cause it was cheap). having installed this i crank my subs up and the fuse does not blow (my entire electrical system is stock). do i need higher gauge wire? do i need a higher output alternator? do i need to upgrade my big 3? why is my amp not drawing at least 30 amps?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18432
I wouldn't use a 30amp fuse on 1200w. Chances are the amp isn't doing 1200w if it's not blowing the fuse. What amp are you using? Nor would I use 10ga power wire. Who paired the amp kit to your amp?

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 17
my amp is a cadence txa6004. i just got that wiring kit cause it was like 7 bucks. im just confused as to why its not drawing enough current to blow the 30 amp fuse

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18436
You were looking for an amp kit for 1200w and you spent $7???

Tell me where this deal is lol.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5512
hahaha X2.

Imo 4AWG is the right choice

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 18
so does anyone have an answer?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8705
Fuses do not blow instantly. It takes a bit of high volume playing to blow it.....

BTW it is physically impossible for that amp to do 1200w with an 80 amp fuse. If it was 100% effecient the most it could do is 1100w. And average efficencey is 75% so figure about 850w is what your actually getting.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1650
You "crank your subs up"?

At what impedance?

Depending on the impedance your amp is driving it may be putting out a lot less than what it's capable of.

Plus, music does not draw high current constantly. It will draw low current most of the time with bursts up to ~80A. It's possible, even running at minimum impedance the 30A fuse up front could survive for a while.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 19
each sub is a single 4 ohm voice coil

i have a 4 channel amp and i bridged 2 channels together for each sub. with this configuration, the rating is 2x600w RMS @ 4 ohms.

and the 30 amp fuse has been surviving for months. im just trying to figure out where the bottle neck is, or (the most probable answer) if i dont have enough power to begin with
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us