High Pass filter or Low Pass Filter?

Bronze Member
Username: Deadman

Kirksville, MO USA

Post Number: 15
If I have the JBL BP1200.1 and I'm running two big subs in a ported box. What type of filter do I need and at what frequency? I guess I don't know what high pass and low pass means!

I saw some filters online at crutchfield. They are called FMODs. Are these the kind I need? They sell for 29.99

Any help would be great, fellas.

Lizardmonkey
Unregistered guest
A high pass filter does exactly what its called, it passes high freqencies(not the bass) and a low pass passes the low bass frequencies. Your JBL has a built in cross over (the device that acts as the low or high pass filter); so you shouldnt need an external one. The crossover is variable on your amplifier too, its all a matter of opinion and taste what you set it at. You will probably want to set the crossover at about 120 Hz or below depending on the frequency response of your subs. A lot of people set it at about 80 Hz.

Bronze Member

Kirksville, MO USA

Post Number: 16
I must have things backwards. What is a subsonic filter then?

Is This what I need to run my JBL BP1200.1 in a ported box?

If so where can I find one. I thought the subsonic filters were the same as low pass filters.

Bronze Member

Kirksville, MO USA

Post Number: 17
Can anyone tell me what kind of subsonic filter I need and where to get one?

Thanks

lizardmonkey
Unregistered guest
a subsonic filter is just a high pass filter for very low frequencies. it passes higher frequencies than a very low frequency, usually around 25-35Hz. for a ported box about 30Hz is a good setting for a subsonic filter. This is also a usefull item to have if your subwoofer is unable to handle very very low frequencies. You dont NEED a subsonic filter; some people find them nice to filter out very low sounds that can not be reproduced by your setup to in a way almost save power. (no use in amplifying something you cant hear).... hope this helped
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us