JL AUDIO 500/1 vs. KICKER KX600.1

Username: Gettingtooold

Post Number: 1
I just bought two Kicker L7 10" speaker to put in my F150 ext.. I currently have a JL AUDIO 500/1 amp pushing them and it sounds really good. My question is, should I switch it out for the Kicker KX600.1 amp? I just am not sure which one of the two would push out more TRUE CLEAN POWER. I do not want to compromise quality.

Post Number: 2
Add-on to above. The speakers are both 2ohm Duals that are wired to a 4ohm load to create a 2ohm load for the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 126
Add the Kicker amp to them. JL amps are really nice but the Kicker amp will put out more power. Did you buy that amp new? If you did it should have came with a birth certificate that tells how much power it can pump out. I've seen some KX600.1 amps rated at 780 watts at 2 ohm's.

Username: Toooldforthis

Post Number: 1
I bought my JL new last week. After readering consumer report opn it, the amp peeks out at roughly 703 watts. Although the amp is rated at 500 watts and the kicker at 600 watts, I just dont know if it is worth making the switch. In regards to the birth sheet, I am afraid that those number are just a hyped up #. Rockford does the same thing, but thier amps will never hit the wattage they show on the birth sheet. And that comping out of the mouth of a Fosagate Tech. Rep.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Kicker amps arn't a joke like RF is now. RF was awesome back in the day but now they have turned to selling their products on Best Buy shelves. Making the switch wouldn't really be worth it in that case but I would just for looks (Kicker subs off a Kicker amp) The sound won't be much of a difference proly though. But is that JL amp rated at 703 watts peak or rms? If peak definatly swith to the Kicker. If RMS than it wouldn't be to much of a switch then.

Post Number: 4
JL 500/1 is rated at 500 RMS. This is its consumer specs sheet:-Output Power (Resistive) (4 ohms @ 60 Hz to 1% THD+N): 605 watts @ 14 volts; 601 watts @ 12.8 volts; 591 watts @ 10.5 volts
Output Power (Resistive) (2 ohms @ 60 Hz to 1% THD+N): 620 watts @ 14 volts; 604 watts @ 12.8 volts; 598 watts @ 10.5 volts
Output Power (Reactive) (4-ohm IHF Load @ 60 Hz to 1% THD+N): 639 watts
Output Power (Reactive) (2-ohm IHF Load @ 60 Hz to 1% THD+N): 733 watts

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 368
You won't notice a huge difference. JL Amps are hugely underrated, you're probably pushing a good 600 watts into the subs already, if not more. If you're pushing two L7's, your best bet is to save your money on a much bigger amp, like a Kicker 1200.1,or if you're strapped for money, a JBL 1200.1 would also be good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Yea do what Jonathan says

Bronze Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 92
Are you running a ported or sealed box. If your running a sealed box I would look into a jbl 1200.1 or a hifonics bx1500. The jbl will give you 600X2 and the hifonics can be ran with a ported to sealed box and it will give you 500X2 at the 2 ohms.

Unregistered guest
I have 2 12kicker L5 and wanted to know which amp i need to push them

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 292
Either way its cool

Silver Member
Username: Dan3

Post Number: 108
yah the last series that rf was good was the S series, i.e. 301s, 401s, 501s, and so on... sad they couldn't continue like that...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us