Cap or Battery?

Username: Godemiche

Post Number: 8
I"m getting close to 1000 watts in my system and will be upgrading again soon,,,, do you think I should get a Capacitor or a Second battery??
Also, anybody know of a place online that sells high output alternator's????
thnx

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 221
First get a battery like Optima Red Top (i am pretty sure thats the right one). Then if problems persist then get an Alt. But only if you have no Electrical problems with not enought battery power and such then get a cap. But thats only if everything is fine.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 340
If it's 1000W RMS, you can be pretty sure the stock charging system won't handle the job, especially if some of the 1000 is a Class A/B amp as AB amps pull a lot more current than Class D sub amps do. I'd get the alternator first, then a good battery. Yeah, the optima red top is the one you want if you get one, don't get a yellow top as it's a deep cycle battery and won't do a good job of starting your car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
K,
So where can i get a HO alternator online??

Username: Nicky_caeser

Seattle, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 2
no no. It would be cheaper to swing for a battery like an Optima 870A Deep Cycle. That way you can run your system with the engine off. Alternators should be left alone because if they ever break, your car wont last long on just your car battery. Plus 1000watts might damage your electrical system. Just get a battery on e-bay or something and try to keep your audio independant of your cars main electrical system. If not a battery get a stiffening cap.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 357
That battery won't last any longer than the alternator will let it. An alternator is the heart of an electrical system. Deep cycles are not practical for starting cars because they don't provide the current quickly. A battery WON'T solve the problem, neither will a capacitor. If any alternator, aftermarket OR stock, breaks, the car's battery will die, and a stock alternator is prone to give out very quickly trying to support a 1000W RMS system, then that battery won't do jack sh*t. Even if the aftermarket alternator did break, he has the stock one to plop on the car temporarily until the warranty replaces it. Pulling 1000 watts won't damage your electrical system at all if the alternator is up to the job. The audio should never be independant of the electrical system, you must listen to music in 5 minute spurts. Most of us listen to music when the car is actually moving. Rob, www.mralternator.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Exactly what i was looking for...
thnx jon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us