Best Amp for JL 13w7

Username: 07jetblack675

Post Number: 1
So I used to be really into the car audio scene a couple of years ago, but have not had time nor money lately. Since I have a bit more time, I am trying to complete my sound system in my car, but do not know what the newer amps are.

My current system is as follows:
Phoenix Gold Ti6 Elite components for front
Phoneix Gold Ti6 Elite components for rear
2x Phoneix Gold Ti400.2 (one to power front, one to power rear components)
Some Kicker 8" shallow mount subwoofers in front doors (can't remember exact model right now)
Kenwood class D subwoofer (150x2 RMS) to power Kicker subs (can't remember model right now)
Phoenix Gold 30 Farad Capacitor (forget model)
Optima Yellow Top Battery
HO 175 Amp alternator
Phoenix Gold Ti800.1 Amp

I originally bought the TI800.1 Amp for the JL13w7 (ran outta money then), but hooked it up to 2 "temporary" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" subs. When I turned up the volume, the lights started to dim in the car. I believe this is because all of these amps are class A/B (including the 800.1), so they are taking waaayyy too many amps from my alternator (over 175 amps). I believe this is why newer subwoofer amps are class D.

Before leaving the scene, I was told that the Octane amps PG made after the TI series are not nearly as good. I have also read on these threads that the Octane amps are better than the JL "slash" series amps (I was thinking of purchasing a 1000/1 for the 13w7).

This leaves me in a prediciment - I love the way the 800.1 hits, but can't keep it cause it's withdrawing too much current with my current setup; the Xenon are worse than the TI, and the JL are worse than the Xenon!

I install all my equipment myself and have done so for a very long time. I tune my amps with a Voltmeter and try to get the most out of them. The only other reason I could possibly think that the lights are dimming is the ground cable not being think enough (will look further into this).

For now, I am looking at alternatives to the 800.1 amp to power the 13w7. If you guys can let me in on what changes have happened in the last couple of year, that would be great. I pretty muched stopped messing with amps when PG was transitioning from their TI to their Xenon series.

Username: 07jetblack675

Post Number: 2
BTW... I am looking for sound quality over high DBs

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Nobody fuccks, With the jesus

Post Number: 977
Alpine PDX-1.1000
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help