Phoenix Gold MS-250

Username: Blue1ce

Post Number: 9
Alright, so i have a Phoenix gold MS-250 from about 1990. I wired a sub to it that was blown. i was a noob and didnt know what was wrong and i kept trying it. I got a new sub and tried it, it worked for about 5 mins then started smokeing. I know a Capacitor is blown inside for sure, if needed i can take pictures. I can send it off for repair for about $95(110 shipped prolly). I know this is a rare amp, i was wondering if it would be worth it to fix it.

Silver Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 134
if the amp truly is from 1990 then toss it. you can find an amp that is much more reliable, maybe a little more pricy than the cost for repair, but it would definitely be a smarter investment

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6415
"if the amp truly is from 1990 then toss it. you can find an amp that is much more reliable, maybe a little more pricy than the cost for repair, but it would definitely be a smarter investment"

makes no sense at all.

Post Number: 10
i just wanna know if its a really good amp or not. if anyone has experience with them. i got it from my dad.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6416
i've seen them sell pretty quick (depending on condition) on forums. if it was mine and i needed it (and could afford it), i would. if it had been the 2 channel up from this, i would be offering to buy it from you right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
how many years of use does the amp have. i've never found one that lasts forever. but mike is the genius so listen to him

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8027
" if the amp truly is from 1990 then toss it "

Haha retarded statement of the day. If you ever run across some old PPI amps send them to me before you put them in the trash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i dont know exactly but about 3-5 years in a car. the rest of the time it was in storage

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
f*ck this website

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6418
"how many years of use does the amp have. i've never found one that lasts forever. but mike is the genius so listen to him"

who said anything about being a genius (but thanks for the compliment). but to say 'if it's from 1990 then toss it' is really stupid. especially when he's considering sending it in for repairs? really stupid comment. look how many old amps still sell very quickly (depending on the amp), and how many people run older amps, and even prefer them.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5432
fixing it is the cheapest way to solve your problem my friend

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

the blown capacitor says 470uf 35v btw if you cant see it

beautiful gold plated board :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8039
Just an FYI that may not be the only bad component. When fixing amplifiers a lot of times when you see one bad component there are others the aren't visibly noticeable.

Username: Junkfirb

Post Number: 1
whey bud, you've got blown diodes and/or transistors in the power supply. I don't know about that pictured cap, but when a cap goes, it either starts to leak electrolytic "goo" or explodes with a bang comparable to a firecracker. I had an ms250 and loved it. very musical but not the best for balls out power if trying to drive a sub with it. It's big deal way back then was it's ability to deliver high current and drive 1 ohm per channel loads (that's a pair of 4 in parallel or a single 2 ohm sub) Did you have the case open when it blew? maybe removed from the heatsink and the reinstalled without ensuring to use isolation pads on the transistor backs to the heatsink? I watched one smoke that way. That smell is likely your output devices that have melted. not to say that your cap isn't bad too. a bulge in the side would indicate that as well. Do you see that white residue that's on the board? That's from a white "smoke" that's emmitted by solid state devices when the junctions between the different internal layers melt down. It looks like both your main "filter/resevior" caps need replacement. also the diodes and trans in the DC to DC buck converter was the initial cause. This part of the amp (where you circled and also the toroid transformer with the red enameled wire wrapped through it is responsible for taking the low voltage from the battery and making about 45 or so volts for the amp to run off of. That takes a bunch of current to do which is why they tell you to use big wires for power. I'd guess you were running it with too low a voltage i.e. 11v or less and pushing it hard. could be a battery on its way out and just over taxing the alternator too hard.
Ultimately I'd say if you or a close friend has the skills needed to repair it then go for it and keep it. It's a nice amp. But if you need to spend over 100-125 to repair it then better to put the money into something new. good luck whatever you do.
Charles
to be honest I'd give you something just for the heatsink...

Username: Junkfirb

Post Number: 2
quick correction replace "buck" with "boost" in last post.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us