Kenwood KAC-9104D good?

Bronze Member
Username: Fritos2

Post Number: 25
Kenwood KAC-9104D is this amp any good? considering price features power ect.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9853
that amp does not put out the wattage they are claiming its lucky if it puts out 675 rms....id shop around for other brands

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1597
it most definitely does produce rated power.
With 9800 posts you should at least be aware of what it means to be CEA2006 certified.

adfasn - Kenwood amps have a bad reputation of weak power supplies, but supposedly the more recent releases have been improved.

Etronics has it for less than $180, and if you're not looking to do full volume SPL sweeps on a regular basis I think it should make a decent amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9854
Optidriven do the math 14.4 volts times 60 amps = 864 watts minus 22 percent = 673.92 watts if you give it the 20% rule for efficincy loss its 691.2 watts....even at 100% efficiency it would only be 864 watts at 14.4 volts and thats not going to happen most class d amplifiers lose at least 20%....you can claim that CEA2006 certified if you want but id like to see how it was measured

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1598
Look up the ATC data sheet at bussmann.com
A 30A fuse will pass 30A indefinitely, 40A for several minutes, 50A for several sec. Even at 60A it can take 5 sec or so.

That amp should draw ~85A at 900w/14v.

Besides, for continuous power tests fuses are sometimes replaced with shorting plugs.

Of the few independent tests I've seen on kenwood amps none have ever come up short of their power ratings.

Fuses at best can only give you a rough estimate on the power capabilities of an amp. One design may use fuses as primariy protection so they blow at the first sign of stress. Another may only be fused for catastrophic failure - intended only to blow to keep the amp from catching fire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
for tuning the back of an amp wat should u turn the low pass filter to or how do u know wat to turn it to, also input sensitivity should be turned to how much volts ur headunit sends or sumthing right? and couldnt find in manual what is is anyway to know?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1599
Gain first - if you're inexperienced I would just set it for the same voltage as your HU's pre-amps. Typically 2-4v.
What HU?

Low pass is up to the listener. I like to run it as high as I can w/o the subs sounding sloppy. That is generally in the 80-100hz area.
I would put in a song you like that has decent bass - turn the LPF dial to 50 and set the HU volume to a point about as loud as you would normally listen. Then slowly increase the LPF until the bass gets muddy and back it off a little.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9866
I knew that a fuse could pass more I just questioned the measurement given

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
JVC KD-AR560/KD-G510 is wats on manual, also wat are the other nobs for amp ISF wich has off-15hz-25hz, and phase wich has 0-180 degrees? and i heard of people changing to like exact watts or is that more of a know wat ur doing thing?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1600
the ar560 has 2v sub outs and 4v Front/Rear outs.
The g510 has 2.5v.
I would just set the gain accordingly.

Don't mess with phase - leave it at zero.

The ISF is the infrasonic filter. It is intended to be used with ported enclosures, and should be set near the tuning frequency of the enclosure. If your enclosure is sealed just set it at around 20. If it's ported but you don't know the tuning frequency just set it at 30 or so.

As far as exact watts -- you can use a digital multimeter (any accurate voltage meter) to dial in the gain and limit output of the amp, but again - not really something you need to bother with just getting into the hobby.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
is the bass boost 0-18db bad to use for sound quality? or does it only amplify like good sound would be amplified and bad sound would be amplified, cause i heard the bass boost isnt good to use.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1601
It's a good idea to use as little bass boost as possible.
In some cases if your enclosure happens to reduce output at or near the set frequency of the bass boost a little bit can help level things out. Any other use and you're just adding boom, and usually distortion that's not supposed to be there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
its loud enough for me at 2v but wondering y less volts like 0.2 would be louder? and at 5v its softer? also y doesnt it pick up the very low frequencies like from hoods run down my amp and sub should be picking them up any ideas?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1603
You're adjusting the sensitivity of the amp relative to the HU's voltage. If the HU voltage is low (0.2v) the amp has to be more sensitive, if it's high (5v) it has to be less sensitive.

Regarding not playing very low - what type of enclosure do you have? What type of car is it in?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
94 ford explorer witha sealed

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1604
In my experience sealed enclosures don't tend to do much for a large space.
I guess I never asked -- what sub(s) (brand and model number)? how many? To what impedance are they wired?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
well i was told sealed have a better sound quality but ported are louder so. a Alpine SWR 1242D at 2ohms

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1605
That's a very over-simplified stereotype.

It takes a little thought and planning to build a GOOD ported enclosure, but when it's done right they can sound great, get lower than a sealed enclosure, and play noticably louder.

However - even sealed - a single type r getting 800-900w should be pretty impressive.

How many cubic feet is your box?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7885
Kenwoods are VERY poor quality amplifiers, they have one of the highest failure rates of all name brands.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1606
may be, but just to be clear for adfasn, it's working, and isn't part of your problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
1.25cu feet at base, at top its 1cu feet, it slants down and out, i picked kenwood cause i right away tried my dad's like 20 year old kenwood and for being that old i thought it was good so i thought id get a kenwood again not sure how its doin now cant really compare with anyone where i live
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us