How do you know what hz to tune your box to ??

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 21
I dont really understand the concept of how to tune a box and how to determine which frequency to tune to. I plan on building my own box So Hows it done??

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 749
Enclosure Volume - Known as ( cu.ft. - cubic feet ) There are 2 Types of enclosure volume - Net Volume and Gross Volume.

Net Volume - Known as ( Vb ) - The volume the subwoofer requires or needs and does not include any of the following:
Subwoofer Displacement - Port Displacement - Bracing Displacement - Port Material Displacement.
The Net Volume and Displacements added together total the Gross Volume of the enclosure.

Gross Volume - the volume of the enclosure which the Net Volume, Displacements and Port Size & Tuning Information which has already been calculated for the enclosure and may or may not included the size of the enclosure dimensions to build it.

Enclosure Types - Sealed or Ported enclosures are the most commonly used for Car Audio Installs.

Port Tuning Frequency - Known as ( Fb ) - The Frequency that the port is tuned to for a Ported Enclosure.

Port Types - There are 2 types of ports used - Round and Slot Ports

Round Ports - Round Ports are defined by their diameter & length

Slot Ports - aslo referred to as Vented Slot is Square or Rectangle and is defined by the Width, Height & Length

Port Size - The port size can be referred to in many ways: Round Port - Diameter x Length / Slot Port - Width x Height x Length.
Subwoofer Manuals Technical Specifications will also refer to the Port Size as - Port Area x Length

Port Area - known as ( Av ) is defined by the cross-sectional area of the port (in square inches), other terms used are - Port Surface Area.
In simple terms - Port Area is the open space of the port defined in Square Inches and can be any shape as long as the Port Area in Square Inches is maintained.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7842
^^^^ Listen to Phil he knows more about building boxes than anyone on this forum :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Ok so i choose a ported box with slot ports now how do i tune it and which freq. do i tune to

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 543
what sub(s)/amp u using?
what vehicle?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 987
not to thread jack, but mark how do i know what my box is tuned to when adding aeroports? and wear to put them?

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 1915
"^^^^ Listen to Phil he knows more about building boxes than anyone on this forum :-)"

Building the perfect box is not about knowing alot, it's about building and testing alot. There is not much to building a ported box, the trick is just knowing what to build next.

Good post Phil, you pretty much summed it up :-)

Keep in mind that slot ports will not have an exact tuning. It is more of a range. And also once your box is in your vehicle, it will (usually) tune lower than what it is on paper.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3010
You buy a tuning fork set, like the one here.
http://narang.com/images/diagnostic_equipments/tuningforksetflat.jpg

Keep hitting them one after another until it makes the same noise as your subs.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 991
jake is that to me?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13978
http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I guess the real question is how to choose what to tune to ?? How do i know that 33hz would be good to tune to rather than 50hz ?? How do you know what number would be the best???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us