2 10 inch sony subs 1200 watts.. what amp

Username: Andrewwho99

Post Number: 1
how many watts should the amp i get be? ive heard ppl tell me i should get about 1 600 watt amp cause it runs at the subs rms.. and others have told me to get like a 1000 watt amp so they hit to their best ability... somebody please help me out asap!!

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6240
post the rms and voice coil of the subs. and budget for an amp.

and do you already have these, or still looking?

Post Number: 2
single 4 ohm 1200 watts rms is 330 watts...

didnt see voice coil.. im a newbie so i pry missed it... yeah i have them.. 150 and under?

Bronze Member
Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 37
the voice coils is Single 4 ohm. Which is also the independance. If its 330 wants you want something that can do about 600wrms at 2 ohms. Also most people here will say that sony=crap. If you havent opened them yet return them because you can get much better for the same money.
Back to the amp, probably something like this will work, although im sure someone here can find something better/cheaper.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19251

Post Number: 3
what kind of subs could i get for similar price?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
How much did you spend on them total?

Post Number: 4
i found 2 power acoustik 4 ohm 1100 watt subs pw2 series 450 rms at a good price... what kind of amp would i need to power those?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Power Acoustik is also a mediocre brand. What is your budget, and do you have a box yet for these? Remember to buy something that is decent and will last a while and be good. Spend the extra few bucks for a better brand if you must.

Post Number: 5
recommend some brands to me then please:-) im young and have no bills to pay and i make 16.50 an hour i can drop big money on it if need be but id like to get some sort of deal out of it.. and no im probably gonna have my dad make a custom box for me depending on what i get

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Ok making your own box is much better, What are you looking for in terms of sound. Do you want SQ(quality) SPL(loudness) or a SQL(a mix). I dont know a whole lot but if you follow this you should be good.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/329117.html
Also most things that you can find at walmart or meijer are a bad brand(with the exception of pioneer and mabye some others).

Post Number: 6
umm...probably loudness? thats why i was thinkin somethin like power acoustik would work out... i searched youtube and stuff like that and ppl that had sony said they were happy with what they got so i couldnt really decided if ppl were just saying sony was bad just cause they were sony .. or if sony was actually bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Sony makes great electronics, just not car audio equipment. If you want loud Kicker is probably the way to go.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17399
If you got 2 of those and a
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19319
you would be good. Kicker underrates their amps(reviews say that pushes 900wrms or more) and their subs like power. Also make sure you shop around to get the lowest price and read reviews. I would let some other members of this board who are way more experienced than me look at this before just instantly buying them.

Post Number: 7
alright thank you very much man :-)

Post Number: 8
if anyone else has any suggestions id love to hear them :-) those kickers are lookin like a good bet at the moment.. but if i decided to go with the 2 power acoustik 4 ohm 1100 watt subs pw2 series 450 rms.. what kind of amp should i get.. watt wise and what not

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6241
well are you willing to upgrade the electrical system in your car? meaning alternator, battery, doing the big 3? that and the size of the alt. now will determine how much power you can safely run. those cvrs' aren't bad (ALOT better than the brands you've been looking at) but you could do better.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5356
SEll them

Post Number: 9
ok... if im getting them... telling me to sell them really doesnt answer my question... what kind of amp should i get to make sure they both have enough power

Silver Member
Username: 94_toy

Post Number: 208
Just spend another a couple mre bucks and get 2 alpine type-r 10"s ( better in all aspects over the comp vrs). Get an amp that does 1000-1500W RMS like a RF T1000.1 (mine says 1750W RMS) and then you will murder those sonys and sound alright well doing so

Post Number: 10
i actually changed my mind after and decided on 2 power acoustik 4 ohm 1100 watt subs pw2 series 450 rms... will a 1000-1500 watt amp be to strong for them or will that be what they need?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1032
andrew who, did u already buy those subs?}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
haha no... but for now thats what im going with... what kind of "stats" should i look for in a amp for those subs? help me with that first and then after that tell me about some other subs or something that are better.. but as of now thats what im probably gonna go with

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1034
i would steer clear of those subs!

whats your budget for subs and amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i dont really have a budget.. i make pretty good money and i have no bills to pay... but id rather not spend lots of $$... in addition to giving me advice on diff subs.. can you please tell me the stats of a amp i would need for those power acoustiks "2 power acoustik 4 ohm 1100 watt subs pw2 series 450 rms"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
If money is not an issue spend the extra few bucks and get the CVR's or the Type R's. they will both be loads better than the power acoustik subs. But if you are dead set on getting them use this to figure out your wiring options. You usually want to go for the lowest OHM possible so it costs less for an amp.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
You would need an amp that does ~900wrms at 2 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 832
everyone has a budget. just say a number not to go over. it will be a lot easier in choosing then.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1036
if you have no budget, then why the F are you lookin at power acoustik subs? sooooo much better out there for a few $$ more

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
cause i have other stuff that im wanting to buy... if i dont like the subs im getting ill upgrade later on but im sure they will be fine for me now.. tons better than what i have at the moment... and thank you Jon for answering me question :-)if im really not happy with them then ill upgrade later on

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
http://www.millionbuy.com/pakov22200.html

would this amp power the 2 power acoustik 4 ohm 1100 watt subs pw2 series 450 rms?

if not can some1 recommend a amp to me that will power them.. so i can get the best of out them?

Silver Member
Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 152
yes, but your going to want to get a Class D mono block amplifier...with one channel and run the two 4 ohm subs in parallel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
can you show me an example of 1 of those please? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
are they dual 4 ohm voice coils?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
yes they are!

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
http://www.millionbuy.com/roct10001bd.html

that would work...its really expensive, but thats the general specs you would want

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
haha yeah lil more then i wanna spend on it but its an option! thank you! if anybody else can find a cheaper amp that would power these then itd be much appreciated!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
can someone please show me an amp that is cheaper than that, that will power those power acoustik subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Since they are 4DVC you would want to run them at 1 ohm if possible, 4 if you cant get an amp that does that. You want about 900-1000wrms at 1 ohm. Probably something like this.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19580
That really only pushes about 1000-1100 because Hifonics overrates their amps, but it is still a decent amp. My friend has one and it gets the job done well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
what if an amp at 2 ohms is 900-1000wrms? is that still somethin i could use?

Silver Member

Post Number: 841
or just dont get power acoustics. and no you need an amp that is 1 ohm stable.

Username: Evildoughboy08

andrew who, depending on your trunk space availability, i think your best bet would be to go with some kicker comp 15s. kicker is having a special, buy one get one. you can get this deal here:
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_13250_-+BUY+1%2C+GET+1+FREE+-+Kicker+07C154.html

those are cheap, and you wont have to blow 400 bucks or more on an amp(assuming you buy everything at the store). They are nice subs and hit hard. everything else in this conversation ive seen only leads to one road- buy high wattage subs and you'll need a high wattage amp, which is what hurts. i have these running on a lanzar vibe 251 bridged. sounds amazing

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
no i dont have that much room in my truck haha i wish tho....

soo this should power it right? its between 900-1000wrms at 1 ohm

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9618_Crunch+PZi+1000.1.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
its AB so it wont be very efficient, and u wont be able to get the full 1000 watts if it that inneficient unless u get a HO alternator

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
how many watts do you think ill be gettin?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Im guessing Crunch overrates their products, and you dont have a HO alt so probably 800-900? But seriously dude, buy the good stuff the first time and save yourself cash when you want to upgrade(and you will want to upgrade).

Post Number: 5
yeah listen to jon on this one. just go with something name brand, i have a kenwood 4 channel for my highs and says on the box it maxes out at 600 watts but the birth certificate says 801 watts. name brand is the best way to go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
haha alright ill take ya guys advice ill look into it :-) and thank you dudes for all the help... its really helped me understand all this stuff a lot more... dont feel like im lost in the woods as much anymore haha :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mario_silva

COATZACOALCOS, VERACRUZ MEXICO

Post Number: 13
Get a RE Audio XXX 12" and 2000 rms dual 2 ohm dvc and a US Amps Merlin MD3D 2000 rms too, it is a powerfull set up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Go with an Alpine PDX-1000 it will give you 1000 watts rms at 4 or 2 ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
definately dont go with "namebrand".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
how many ohms and rms should i go with if im gettin 2 of these?

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8834_Power+Acoustik+SL-12W.html

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6278
1000w at 1ohm. and don't get those subs, get nice ones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
haha i know i know...but i may be gettin an apartment with 1 of my friends.. so right now just incase im not gonna go wild spendin money...

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6279
i still wouldn't buy them. why not find a good used sub? can save you a lot of money, and afford you something better than those. nothing wrong buying used so long as it's from a trusted seller, i buy used all the time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
where would i buy used 1s from?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6280
the for sale section here, or over on caraudio.com (definately the best f/s section though). i know there's a pair of stereo integrity bm subs for sale here, great subs that would be perfect off 1000wrms.

Username: Imafein419

Hey Andrew I personally have two of the 12" Sony's that you are talking about and I am running a Power Precision pcx480 amp with them and they hit pretty hard considering that the rms of my amp is only 320 bridged on a 4 channel amp so I would say if your going to stick with sony at least buy an amp that is 3/4 rms of the speakers,and check it out im sure you wont be dissapointed!

Bronze Member

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 46
why would you get a 4 channel amp for 2 subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 866
true that and fock sony, dont listen to that guy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
how about this one: http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4359

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
is that the exterminator series? if it is then dont get that amp.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 473
Sony subs make a thud noise and that's about it...
Power Acouctik is not much better. Save yourself time and money and listen to the non-noobs on this thread and get decent equyipment. Power, Install, and enclosure will be a major factor in overall performance of your system. good luck.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1593
"why would you get a 4 channel amp for 2 subs?"

Why not? A bridged 4 ch works great for a pair of low-mid power svc 4's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us