Which amps are good?

HI I want to put in a new system in my car but I dont know which amp to buy. I am gonna buy a Pioneer DEH-P4400 deck, 10" Rockford Fosgate subs, and a pair of 4" and 5.25" Kenwood Excelons.
The only thing I have not figured out yet is the amp. Thanks for your help!

dan mack
rockford fosgate, none other.

jim johnson
go with the rockford.

Geoge Nelson
Yeah right!! Try JL Audio, PPI, Phoenix Gold or something along those lines. The best amps you'll find are not at Best Buy Circuit City. A lttle more expensive, but you'll have to pay big for quality.

Jesse Jones
Thats right! Listen to Nelson!

Jay
Hey man, buy CAR TECHNIC amplifier. It's cheap but sounds very good, my friend got it.

Laz
You don't need to spend that extra money on a PPI or a Phoenix Gold amp. If you're only running 2punch 10's then a punch 200 will hit nice. If the rest of your system was superhigh end like infiniti kappa or polk mids all around and you were running more than just 2 punch tens then I would say spend the extra money.

Shawn
Get MTX...Get Like 2 D-Class 1000Watt Mono Amps...2 MTX Competition Subz...U Know da SPL Subwooferz?? Yeah Those...Get an In Dash DVD player wit Da 7 Inch Screen By Pioneer...When Usin a Pioneer Head Unit...Pioneer Speakerz for da Highz and Midz Work da Best!!!!! There you Go, U Got One Mind Bendin Trunk Blowin System...(Caution: Upgrade Ur Alternator and Battery, If Possible Double UR Electrical System...U Gonna Need Lotz a Juice to Power those Ampz)

Anonymous
Which brand depends on what you want. Like the old Ford or Chevy battle, brands have their loyalties. For quality sound, it's hard to beat Alpine. For raw beastly power and decent sound, old school Linear Power and old school Punch (the HD series) are great bargains. Stay away from Coustic and new Fosgate, ever since Fosgate stopped enforcing their 'authorized dealer' stuff it's turned into an expensive Pyramid type brand. Just because they have cool ads doesn't mean they still make quality equipment. I had a Punch 30 running two tens and they slammed hard.

Lots of steals on Ebay. I even saw an old Crankenstein the other day...some dude got it for under $2k and it still had the wooden crate and straw.

Vance
My Bet for a good cheap amp is USacoustics.I have Never heard anything bad about them. Profile Amps are not bad also.And Don't forget Ebay!!

Anonymous
Don't listen to them get the xplod amp there the best.I have one and i love it,after my friend listend to it he got an xplod to.

Tanto
Hey anonymous that reconmended Alpine amps off ebay. What Alpine amp should I use to power my 2 12" Alipne type Rs?

HEY Vincent... ever heard the saying you get what you pay for.. well leme tell ya.. i been there done that.. i have had many car amps in my time.. and i have tried many... dont go with those cheep amps you see 1000 watts for 200 dollars.. well thats sounds good.. and the amp may sound good.. but you will only be getting about 100-250(rms true wattage)watts.. all the amps these guys are talking about are great, (except the CAR TECHNIC )you want quality right. and yess you can get a good even some times great amp from circuit city, or best buy... poineer for example.. well many peeps thinks its not a good amp.. but leme tell ya... the one i had was soo good.. the thief that took mine, bypassed my viper alarm just to get it.. i had mine connected to 2 10's... and i was hitting harder than my buddy with 2 15's.. and he was very heated.. and i puy my own system in.. while his was professionaly put in... by the way he had one of those 1500 watt amps with the $200 price tag(i think he only paid about $150 all together for both speakers)... do you see what im gettin at..

Anonymous
lmao did that guy just say XPLOD is awesome? wtf... Do you work for best buy or something?

Jeep driver
I have a jl500/1 amp with a jlw6v2 in a slotted box. Sits in the back of a jeep cherokee. this system wakes the dead.

mark
kicker..............

Hi,
I just bought a second hand amp. It's an Alpine V12 4 channel amp, but that's all i know about it. Could anyone tell me anything more about it? And also how do you bridge a four channel amp. Thanks.

Anonymous
Can I just say Kicker again?

I bought a KX1200 mono amp to push my two solobaric 15"s and it slams them..Ive hooked this amp up to many other subs and it is bout it as hell....all the new kicker KX series class d amps are underrated..

nado
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS A GOOD AMP TO RUN 2 12" LOGIC SUBS 4000 WATTS MAX AND 2000 WATTS RMS?
IKNOW IT IS ALOT OF WATTS BUT I HAVE A 1000W ROCKWOOD AMP WRIGHT KNOW AND IT JUST ISN'T GETTING THE JOB DONE IT IS JUST TO WEAK FOR ME I WAS THINKING OF GETTING A 2000WATT LEGACY BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY ALL THE POWER THAT I NEED ANY BODY HAVE ANY IDEAS

I would recommend a mono amplifer, depending on your subs, if you wire them to 2 ohms you will get more bass. But will need to buy an mono amp to take run at 2 ohms. I recommend Alpine, also sony used to make a clean amp, but I am not sure about their new design. I have heard rockford has gotten alot cheaper made with their new style. If you are going to buy a rockford, just buy a Lightning audio, same technology as Punch at a fraction of the cost. Figure 1 dollar per watt. Look for RMS ratings, not peak. Cheack ratings at 12volts not 14.4 like most companies advertize. Don't skimp on the amp, you will regret it.

Marcus
I have 2 jl audio 12in subs,but i wanted to buy a amp that can push it really good.I was looking on line and found a Sony Xplod 1000w amp for 109.99.I think it only has 2 1 channel or something like that and it says that when its bridged its rms is 400w @ 4 ohm or something.I just wanted to know if it was a good amp and if 2 channel amps are better than 1 channel amps.

Vapor
Marcus
The number of channels on an amp will have less of an impact on you than what you are trying to drive. You will end up driving mono on the subs with one amp/one channel, recommend two mono amps or one 2 channel amp for your JL's. Sony isn't bad and you could bridge for 2 from the 4. What else is in the system though? Don't just shake the windows, blow down the whole damn house.

marcus
vapor
i just sent the money to get that amp i was talking about,im almost positive that it has 2 channels.i always heard jls bang,but arent there different kind of jls.i asked my friend about a capacitor and he said i didnt need one what would you say about one.thanks

what kind of amp do I use for 2 12" kicker comp VR's that have a peak power of 800 watts each.

Lafferman
there rms is 400 each you need an amp that can put out 800 watts rms or else you run the risk of under powering the subs and blowing them.....yes you can blow subs by under powering them(amp clipping). so just get an amp that can do 800 watts rms and you'll be fine

bryan
everyone says u get what u pay for and that is absolutley right, but u dont gotta pay $1000 for something u can get for $200. i got an audiobahn 1300 watt amp for $200 at the swap shop, brand new in the box. i also got 2 audiobahn 15's and the mdf box for $400 brand new in the box. my system hits harder than anyone i have ever met, and that is what other people tell me. u can get good stuff anywhere, if u know what ur lookin for, and someone said it before, ebay is a steal go there first

xtc
i have a Pioneer Deck KEH-7025 and pioneer GM-X944 4-channel Amp (1000 watts), had two 600 watt each pioneer subs on it, along with 2 220watt + 2 225 watt speakers on it; it sounded good to me; now i'm plannin' on gettin' 2 new pioneer speakers, 400 watts each + 2 1000 watt subs, any one got any idea if i need to get another amp for the bigger speakers & subs or can i connect it all with one amp. Also is it possible to run the speakers on one amp and the sub on another amp, plz help!

Anonymous
i saw an audiobahn intake amp for pretty cheap compared to their other ones - high current a/b what are all these different classes and is an intake amp good? and is 400 watts to each of two subs - total is 800 watts gonna be reasonbly loud?

Hi,

Can u tel me what dB means in amplifying terms,what it's for & what it
does?

I thinking of getting 1 of the following:

Pheonix Gold 900 Watts RMS (900 dB)

Viper 2500.1 digital 2500 Watts RMS (80 dB)

Earthquake PH-D2 2000 Watts RMS (2000 dB).

These will power 2 10" Power Acoustik MOFO subs which are 1200 Watts RMS each (& 80 dB).

What do you reccomend for them.Can you giv me any other tips on the setup before I go ahead and blow it up?

Cheers

From Mike I run A jl300\4 for the alpine pro seperates ( doors and dash) and jl500\1 for the 10W7 in an older civic H/B with alpine 45x4 head unit the W7 I use my own matrix exponential 3/4 wave horn ( kind of a waveguide resonant @ 22HZ ) anything below that should be filtered out if your cabinet doesn't do it for you ( it's all junk below 18 HZ ) Please trust a 50 year old loud rock freak.

Lafferman
xtc give us the rms values and specs on all that stuff at first glance it looks like your under powering everything

Stephen Hurst
Hey i Just bought two Alpine Type R's and Iam now looking for an amp..I was thinking maybe Hifonics or alpine..Iam lookign to spend 100-150. I know this sounds crazy but with E bay anything is possible..I was just wondering if 600 watts rms would be underpowering there subs..Another ? can u run 2 subs off a momo amp?
CAn anyone help?

steve

steve H
xtc you gota get a new amp..you are runnin alot of stuff off that one 1000 watt pioneer...Its probly only 400 watts rms anyway...I would use that pioneer to power all the speakers and get a 600 watt amp for the subs..Get a good amp with a rms of 600 dont believe all that hype.spring for a kicker or hifonics or JBL they stay true to the rms power..It will cost u a lil more but it will be worth it..shop ebay and u will find a deal.

xtc
could you tell me how to know the RMS of the amps or anything else, for example i have pioneer stuff, amps and all, but everything is written as WATTS or it tells us the Continuous Power of the Amp; pls help thanx!

Anonymous
Uhhhh XTC...

Watts are watts, whether it's the RMS rating
which is the average continuous wattage your amp
puts out or your speakers should be given..

Or it's the maximum watts which are how many
watts your amp can put out turned up to full
power at any given time...

Paulo Sergio
I might be understanding incorrectly to anon june 26 11:12pm, but "watts are watts" is incorrect. Continues power is rms power and this is the only wattage should be paid attention to. peak power is power that could be given to any speaker at a short time ( less than 1 sec.) pretty short huh. Peak power is not achieved when setting the gain on high. Go to manufacutre website for rms ratings for your audio needs.

landon rivers
Hey can anyone tell me what bridged power means...Ex. Amp can put out 300*2 bridged..

Paige
I personally perfer JL Audio

Anonymous
good amps are...mtx, kenwood, phoenix gold, alpine, and kicker...have heard good things about fosgate but i havent listened to one...my buddy has excellent sound quality with minimal distortion coming from his eclipse amp

Casper Stell
I got two Kicker Solo Barics and two thousand watt kicker mono amps and a Kicker six hundred watt amp for my JBL audio 6 1/2s and 5 3/4. I got an Alpine headunit and lightning audio eight hundred watt wireing kit. With the right combonation you can make your serio sound sick, not in a bad way....

Anonymous
are logic class D amps any good?

gyrt
no

crash
i just bought a kicker impulse 352xi amp from my friend... i was just wondering if that is enough amp to push my 2 10" kenwoods, he said it was a 400 watt amp...and he could bridge the amp to my speakers...could yall help me out? what should i do?

listen
Trust me,you should buy an audiobahn amplifier because they hit the hardest,they also last alot longer.If you don't believe me you can look them up.Ask people around to,they're not cheap but most the time when they're expencive their realy good.you can also ask any person at autozone or something who will help you with your chioce of amps.hope you find them.and by the way,rockford fosgate,pioneer,and kenwood are good chioces.their name brands you can also trust.

Regular jizzo
Buy Blackmaxx amps..Crunch and hifonics teamed up and made this company.. I bought one they are great I got one powering my alpine type r's 12 inch. I rips em apart.

i bought an audiobahn awis-12 immortal. it puts out 2000w RMS but I don't know what amp to buy for it

I have 2 12" audiobahn flame q series with an rms power of 1100 watts a piece. Right now I have a 2000watt legacy non bridged amp. Does anyone know how I can increase my bass without spending a lot of money?

I need some advice- I am getting 2 Kicker Solo Baric 12", (L5), and need to know what amp to get. I am not looking for competition or anything, just something that sounds nice in my lil ole 96' grand prix. My friends are duking it out whether i should get a 2000 watt Legacy for $120, or a higher priced brand with less watts, and more money, etc.. so please email me or post with a decent amp, no need to be super great, but somnething that I can get reasonably cheap too. Oh and the other thing is that my friend said go with the legacy cause i need to power the solobarics fully, or they won't pick up all the tones, i can just use the remote bass to turn it up or down etc.. thanks.

Jof
McIntosh, Audison, Zapco, and Orion.

Anonymous
Alrighty, I have a 96' grand prix, and need to know what ya think will be better. I am stuck on my kicker solo barics, but need to know what would sound the best. Here's what I'm looking for- I am wanting a really nice sounding system, not like blow my car up loud, but just really nice. And I mainly listen to rock, a little rap, and praise and worship christian stuff, and stuff like that. I am debating between like 2 12' L7's, 1 15" L7, or maybe 1 12" L7.. i dunno. And I might as well go ahead and buy a kicker amp cause i can get a deal- for example the 1200watt class D kicker amp runs about a grand, I can get in new for $400, so what kicker amp to go with what? Please help

D-bo
Anonymous where can u get that amp for 400?

And andrew knowles get a crunch BLACKMAXX amp 700 watts. i got it powering my 2 alpine type r 12s and it pushes them you can bride it and it has a 12 db boost..I got mine for 112.00 off ebay great deal i bet u can find one for around 200 250 ..Dont go with legacy they suck man snake

Notorious_K
Will a JL Audio 250/1 mono amp be good enough to power 2 JL Audio 12" subwoofers? I have a JL Audio E4300 amp right now running all my speakers and (1) 10" sub. I am going to get (2) 12" subs to replace the 10" and get a seperate amp to run them. Then use the E4300 for my speakers. Do you think that will work? Thanx for the help.

d-bo
Depends on the amount of bass u want..if u looking to crack pavement go with a bigger amp...it also depends on what JL subs u gte..if u have the w6 or w7 def get somthign bigger..if u have anythign lower like w3 w4 it should do. It will be a o.k bump but i would go with a 500/1

Notorious K
Thanx,I have two JL 12W3 D4 Subs. I think I am going to go with the 500/1 amp. thanx for the help

i was thinking about purchasing an audiobahn
a4801t.i have 2 audiobahn alum12 12" subs
(2003 model).i would want to run the amp at
700 watts x 2 @ 4ohms.any info would be great.

D-bo
Audiobahn makes great amps..they say 700 watts u get 700 watts..good choice with the set up u have.lemme know how it sounds when u get it hooked up.

teflondog
audiobahn makes very good amps. actually, if they say 700 watts, they'll probably put out 750 watts. they under rate their amps which is a good thing.

who knows
JL audio is the best no question about it I have three 300 watt subs sitting in my trunk and 2 10 inch also hooked up into a 650 amp. Great setup those guys up there know what there talking about, don't go to circut city or best buy or whatever. Sony xplod sucks thats all there is to it. I'd go with whatever your preference if you want a fine tweeked system. Pay alittle more

teflondog
the goodguys store added jl audio to their list of audio equipment. if you're going to buy jl audio, go to an authorized dealer since they actually know what they're talking about. goodguys will say anything just to sell you anything.

Anonymous
I had a Alpine V12 on my Eclipse 8700 15" and I hit 147.8 db......

hi im farshad i have amp dm x944 pioneer i have question
i install 2 channel to 2 speaker and i install(set) 2 channel bridge to one sub ilike understand what power rms to speaker and sub my dc car 14.7 and ilike what amp pioneer need for sub pioneer model 121spl 12" tanks

teflondog
hi farshad. from what i understand in your post, you are trying to decide what amp to get for one pioneer 12" sub. if i am correct, you would prefer an amp made by pioneer. i don't think that sub is in production anymore so i'm not too sure about its power handling. if it's one of the old ones then it probably handles 150-200 watts rms. if i am right, then i would recommend the pioneer gm-x572 amplifier. it puts out 200 watts rms bridged into 4 ohms. it doesn't sound like a lot of power but pioneer is designed more for sound quality rather than monsterous spl. hope this helps.

JoeBlow
LinearPower or Zapco.All others just think there good.

I just baught Impulse SD-640 for less then $200. I am planning to use it in a 5-channel mode with subwoofer. It is a 4-channel bridged amplifier.

What do u think.

Do u have any suggestion for a good subwoofer and speakers for this amplifier?

Bose seems to be too costly.

D-bo
Vishwa go with alpine speakers..they have the best sound quality in my opinion..I have the type R subs powerd by a 700 watt amp.. sounds perfect..pioneer highs and infinity mids. If you are goin with one sub go with a kicker L5. DONT UNDERPOWER it go 300+..

teflondog
vishwa, don't even think about powering 4 speakers and a sub with only 1 amp. get a separate amp for that sub unless you want it to sound like crap.

vishwa
Well Teflon Impulse SD-640 (4 channel) amplifier supports Wonderful features like
1) 4-channel mode
2) 2-channel mode
3) 3-channel mode
4) 5-channel mode with subwoofer
5) 3-channel mode with subwoofer and Center option.

I think it is safe to do that. But I agree that the bridged channel (with sub woofer and speakers) may get less power output.

I may even go by your word and buy one more subwoofer amp (too much money). Can you suggest a good one.

Which means I also have to buy a 3 pre-out car sterio.

Right now I was thinking of Sony DJ-M510/10 (it comes with a XR-510R + CDX-656 10 cd changer) for a good price of $400 around.

What do u think?

-vishwa

teflondog
$400 is a lot for a piece of crap sony deck. sony doesn't make good car audio products. trust me. look into pioneer receivers since some models have 3 preouts and built in crossovers. they're cheaper too.

I have 2 15" Audiobahn 1506 T's with a Bandpass and a Boss 2200 class d monoblock amp.....What farad Capacitor should I get?

Does anyone know of which cap I should use and if anyone knows if they know somewhere to get a complete all plexiglass bandpass box?

i have a 96 2dr camry and i have a lot of engine sound coming through my speakers. ive tryed everything to fix it, but one thing . im gona try to get a better ground connection what kind of sand paper should i use to get a great bare metal connection and how short should i cut my groung wire to my car to the amp???? if that dosnt work im gona to try to get a better amp i currently have a keenwood (kac-6485) 280w amp what would be a better filterd amp? any help would be appreciated ya can reach me at kovo1981@yahoo.com ive wasted too much time and money please HELP!!!!!!!

IVE NEVER REALL BEEN INTO CAR AUDIO NOW I AM GETTING A SYETEM AND NEED TO KNOW IF A PYRAMID 1000W AMP AND A KENWOOD 12" CAPABLE OF HANDLING 1200W IS A GOOD MATCH PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT SAFILOVER@YAHOO.COM TO HELP ASAP

I need some help...... I bought 2 15" Rockford Fosgate power HX2 woofers (1000 rms-2000 watts max) and 2 Kicker 1200.1 Kx. It seems that those woofers need bigger amps than that because I cannot get the max power from those subs. They don't even get hot (the cone of sub) when I'm checking the system. The amps are working in maximum. The machine indicated 148.1 db. And we were expecting at least 152 db. The stereo is a Kenwood 919; we have 1 amp installed for each sub. The box has 3.5 C/F because that is the most I can get from my car (trunk area); in addition, 3 batteries optima with one capacitor. The box is vented and I'm using one box for two subs. The recommended size for these woofers from Rockford Fosgate web site and manual is 3.5 per sub, but I don't have more space in my car. We are talking about 7 C/F. The technician told me to replace the amps for earthquake amps... I'm wondering if those amps are better than Kicker 1200.1 Kx. I want to have a second opinion from someone who knows about this field. My car is a Volkswagen golf 2 doors, and the space I have in the trunk is limited. What should I do? The technicians told me not to buy Rockford amps because they were not good enough for these subs... I don't know what you guys think about that. I also have a "helper" little box to increment the current from Non Fading. It also worked... It incremented from 147.4 Db to 148.1 Db. I don't have with me the specific name of this artifact.

Also, I cannot exceed 2800 watts; otherwise I will be in different category. (Impossible to win)
Thanks..

Bill W
DAN P if you are going to get an amp get a crossfire or a JL Audio. I Know people that get pyrmid with good subs like Jl Audio and Rockford and they sound like crap!

D-bo
Yo dannys c earthquake makes great everything..and there good for people who wanna push out big spl.. I dont understand why kicker wasnt good enough for u..they ussally make great amps as well. Also make sure u have a good amp kit..iam sure u do.I dont think the jump from kicker to quake will make much dif

gr8ridejester
Has anyone ever used BOSS Car Audio amps? I know they're cheap, but they have a 4000w 2-ch amp for about $360 that I was looking at. Also, Power Acoustic makes a 15" sub that produces 2600w max. I was thinking of getting 2 of those and the BOSS amp. I don't want to spend a lot, but I do want a kickn' system. Would this be a good investment or should I just stick to Audiobahn or something like that?

Shouder
It all depends on how much you want to spend. I just recently got a audiobahn a2200hct and i love it. I strongly suggest audiobahn if you want quality. However, fosgate, profile, kenwood, pioneer, there all good. Also check out ebay.

Anonymous
im getting a sytem for my 2003 tundra and i want a good amp and one 12' sub that delivers real tight bass, like the kind that vibrates your body and i only wanna spend like $450, does anyone have any ideas what i should get. please help me

loui
look re anonymous..... the best buy in car audio woofers are "soundstream,jl,orion,power acoustic"
and amps? "soundstream, rockford,"

Anonymous
I have 2 rockford fosgate pro series 12's there competition speakers 8yrs old and they still hit hard as crap but i also just bought a JLAUDIO 250/1 mono amp. Do you think i will need a capasitor? also what kind of box should i put those speakrs in to make them hit hard in a thunderbird? anybodys help please.......

To anonymous Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:39 pm. If you want some bang for your buck go to ebay and find yourself a BOSS R3000D.I believe there are a couple buy it nows for $169,an awsome deal. Then get yourself a PowerAcoustik MOFO 12". I found 2 brand new on ebay for $230,that included shipping. You should be able to pick 1 up for under $150.

P.S.-I dont want to hear any BS about how BOSS sucks blah blah blah blah blah. We have heard it all a thousand times. And if you have ever owned a BOSS amp and blown it ........well that just means your a fuc*king moron that doesnt know jack sh*it about electronics or how to hook sh*it up.

tan
hey guys is there any proffesional outhere,got a problem.help! i have 2 12's of pioneer dvc subs 1000 watt each,pioneer deh-8450 head unit and i am trying to drive my subs on pioneer gmx 944 amp. for some reason i can hear a noise like heartbeat from my subs like an intereferrence. i am just driving subs on this amp and i dont think that this amp is that weak to drive these subs and idea or suggestion how to get rid of that heartbeat noise from my subs?

Yo, I just recently brought a old school hifonics Hercules VII 200 mono amplifier. I plan on putting it my 1997 Chevy Silverado, along with 2 xtant 15s 350rms and 750 max power. Do you guys think this amp can get the job down or would it be too powerful for subs let me know? I'm really not use to the old school amps, I just heard a lot of great things about them. Let me Know..

DaGameHasChanged
AUTOTEK IS THE BEST ALL AROUND AMP MADE SOUNDQ,
SPL,WATTS,RELABLE,LOOKS GOOD,PRICE THE BEST,YOU
WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS FROM THIS AMP.THE MX 5000
IS A BEAST 2FEET LONG 2400 UNDERATEDWATTS.
CHECKOUT THE CHEV.CAVALIER IT HAS TWO SMALLER
AUTOTEK AMPS.ONE 15INCH SUB HITTING 160DBZZZZZZZZZ
COMPLETEAUDIO.NET

jonny
dude i got 8 18 inch jl w7's in my conversion van. i got an amp for each of them. each mtx 8oo watt amps. each amp has a battery. all tha sht had to be special ordered i won the lottery.

dd
jl doesn't make 18"w7's

Hydro
Jonny c'mon dude If ur gonna lie at least make it believeable like dd said there is no 18w7 the highest is a 13w7 and those run about 600 a piece

HIFONICS series VII cant be beat. What other 10 year old amps are going for the money them things are going for.You say autotek is the best, Thing is old school autotek, earthquake and hifonics are all made by ZED AUDIO.That series VII herc will pound those xtant subs.Power of the gods all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Brown
Anyone know anything about the old school autoTek 7100 bts amp??

yeah - im only 16 - i have a 2001 ford turues - and im runnin 2 15's ( LEGACY'S ) with a watt max. of 1200 each - im also runnin a 2000watt 4ch. LEGACY ( BLUE DIAMOND ). - now when i was putting it in my self i was only usein 2chs - and it hit HARD - but now i have all 4chs - ( 2chs. to eack subwoofer ) and it hits so damn hard. (so LEGACY amps and subwoofers r nothen to diss about) - but yeah i kind of fucked up 2 chs. missin with it so now it sucks b/c i have only 2 chs. now - - - so.. now i want to buy a new and batter amp - but i don't know what to get - i want at less 1000watts really runnin to each sub - so how much watts should i be lookin for in a new amp? - - - but e-mail me if yall have any thing that mite work

yeah - im only 16 - i have a 2001 ford turues - and im runnin 2 15's ( LEGACY'S ) with a watt max. of 1200 each - im also runnin a 2000watt 4ch. LEGACY ( BLUE DIAMOND )amp . - now when i was putting it in my self i was only usein 2chs - and it hit HARD - but now i have all 4chs - ( 2chs. to eack subwoofer ) and it hits so damn hard. (so LEGACY amps and subwoofers r nothen to diss about) - but yeah i kind of fucked up 2 chs. missin with it so now it sucks b/c i have only 2 chs. now - - - so.. now i want to buy a new and batter amp - but i don't know what to get - i want at less 1000watts really runnin to each sub - so how much watts should i be lookin for in a new amp? - - - but e-mail me if yall have any thing that mite work

Hydro
1000 watts to Each sub will be 2000 watt amplifier.If your planning on keepin the Legacy subs which are dirt in my opinion u dont need 2000 watts of power to push them just get the MTX Thunder 1501D and u wont be disapointed and that amp will put out over 1600 watts on the meter.

Unregistered guest
i got a kenwood 1000 watt mono amp... would that power a 10" Alpine type R? I'm new at this stuff so forgive me if i sound stupid!

Username: Budweiserman17

Post Number: 1
yeah it should be fine for one Alpine 10"

Post Number: 2
now dose any one think that LEGACY makes good stuff ?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 4
Legacy is garbage.
see the following site for a decent list of god and bad companies in car audio:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Post Number: 3
think u for that - i didn't really know if they were good or not around here - but thats what i could afored rite now so that all i got is LEGACY - but its all good - i guess its time to get my subs and amp out then

Post Number: 4
what kind of amp would be best for me to run my new 2 12w6's ? - the bad thing is that i don't know what the max power holing for them are.

Post Number: 103
www.jlaudio.com
look at a JL 500/1 amplifier.
their site has power handling charts for their subs as well.
if I had more bandwidth at the moment I'd grab the direct URLs for you

Post Number: 5
k - now would it be batter to run a 1 or 2 ch. amp for the 12w6 v2's ?

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 12
Hmmmm.... Why don't they list prices on their site?

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 13
WOW I had NO IDEA JL Audio was that expensive... $1000 for an amp?! Thats insane!

Post Number: 6
yeah there expensive but its worth the money for most of them

Post Number: 114
JL Audio is one of the best companies out there and they don't authorize net sales so you pretty much either buy in a brick and mortar shop, or you buy gray-market on-line. Many high end companies follow this practice which is why you don't see many of them for sale on the net from retailers.

The 12W6v2 handles 400WRMS each. The 500/1 would give each sub about a realistic 300WRMS. the 1000/1 would deliver too much power to those subs, at about 550-600WRMS each.
as a more affordable option, look at the MTX Thunder81000D
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/thunder81000d.cfm

850WRMS x 1 @ 4 Ohms, and with a pair of 4 Ohm DVC subs, that's what you'll want.
If you want really high end, look at Zapco's two-channel class-D amplifiers, for something that puts out about 200WRMS x 2 @ 2 Ohms.
www.zapco.com

Post Number: 115
http://www.zapco.com/nosound/prod/comp600.html
try that amplifier.
the Zapco Competition Series Z600C2-SL

Post Number: 7
alrite - that would work - so how much are we talkin for the MTX Thunder81000D - - and can i trust lookin at the Zapco Competition Series - b/c i have never herad of it befor

Post Number: 119
haha
yeah. Zapco is one of the best US made amplifiers you can buy. You've probably never heard of Zapco because most people you know couldn't afford them. :-)
Here's a review:
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/amplifiers/zapz600.htm

price on the Zapco is about $1,500 US

The MTX is a much more reasonably priced $350 street price
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=mtx81000d

Post Number: 8
alrite - lol

Post Number: 9
2 ROCKFORD 12" LIGHTNING AUDIO SUBWOOFERS SUB - ? TWO 12" High Power Car Audio Subwoofer
? 500W Maximum Power Handling Each Subwoofer
? 4 Ohms - Sold in Pairs - Buy As Many Pairs As You Need
? High Quality Poly Cone for Maximum Bass Response
? 1 1/2" Voice Coil with High Gloss Chrome Basket- - - all for only $75:00 - now dose that sound at all any good ? - lol

Post Number: 182
not really.
Lightning Audio is pretty cheap junk.
The only thing from Lightning I'd use is their power distribution products, and that's mainly because that stuff is all the same anyway, regardless of who makes it, and Lightning's is usually cheap.
As for performance from those subs.. poor.

Unregistered guest
i have an amp rated 400 RMS would it work with my subs that are rated 350 RMS

Post Number: 248
it'd work, but chances are you'll wne up eventually damaging the subs.

Username: Newb

Post Number: 23
hey glass i heard its more detrimental to have ur subs underpowered than overpowered. is that true? something about it damages the coils easier if underpowered?

Post Number: 249
underpowering speakers causes no damage at all.
what does though, is if the sub is too weak, and the owner turns the gains up too far to compensate, which in turn pushes the amplifier into clipping, sending DC voltage to the speakers, and overheating the voice coils.
overpowering the subs will also overheat the coils and melt them though, so overpowering isn't any better.
Always be sure to set teh sensitivity inputs (gains) on the amplifiers properly, and you should never have a problem unless the car's alternator isn't up to the task of powering your amps.

-don't set gains too highly, and cause clipping
-don't overpower the subs and roast the coils
-have a sufficient charging system
-use properly sized power cable/distribution
-live long, and prosper.
-Oh, and start a new thread! I'm sick of scrolling through 150 messages to read one new post in this thread. When it gets to about 50 posts, people should realise it's either time for a new thread, or time to give up on the one they're reading.

Username: Newb

Post Number: 24
HA didnt the pyramid thread break 200? lol!

Anonymous

how do you know where to set the sensitivity inputs to.

Post Number: 263
sorry I was half asleep. I meant to say "What does though, is if the amplifier is too weak, and the owner turns the gains up too far"

here are some guides to gain setting:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

Post Number: 10
now do u know if the LANZAR 12" COMPETITION SUBWOOFER r any good ? - - -

Product Description

- Custom Tooled Die-Cast Aluminum Basket
- Aluminum Alloy Cone Structure
- Massive Butyl Rubber Surround
- 2.5" High Temperature Dual Voice Coil
- 50 Oz x 2 High Density Barium Ferrite Magnet
- Power Handling: 600 Watts RMS/1200 Watts Peak
- Frequency Response: 26- 800 Hz
- Impedance: 2 Ohms DVC
- Efficiency: 86dB

Post Number: 11
?

Brianschlotsky
Unregistered guest
Im new to car audio and don't know what I'm doing at all. I would like to get a nice system, but I don't have a ton of money to spend, and I was wondering if anyone could recomend something to me. I have a kenwood head unit, but thats it.

Username: Stinkyweasle

Post Number: 1
Audiobahn A2002T amp for a polk momo 10" sub???? I'm looking for a good amp to drive this sub in a sealed custom truck box for my sierra?? Any ideas????

Post Number: 357
start a new thread.
stop posting to one that's over 100 messages long, with some totally unrelated question, people.

Username: Daysof_thunder

For all you guys trying to build a system. Dont buy anything cheap that says it has lots of power. For example; 1600 watts for 139. These amps while they might be good entry level amps, they are lying to you. No way is it 1600 watts of clean power. second they really arent the power rating. Notice they say max output. Always look for rms. That will tell you the actual power spec of anything you are buying. Thirdly, save a little more to get what you want ,dont settle for anything. Last but not least, check around first and try not to get ripped off. now some advice. compare volfenhag to us amps or rockford. No comparison. Volfenhag is rated at 1600 for there big bass amp at about 140 or so. Rockford has a 1500bd i believe that is rated at 1500 mono. us amps de1000 at 1000 mono. both rms. the rockford is around 550 or so and the us amps is around 600 or so. whats the dif here? Distortion vs raw power is the dif here gents and ladies. Keep these things in mind before you buy. Want to have a one time payment of 500 for good amps or keep paying 140 or higher when the other destroys itself or the equipment you are using. Remember this, more power than the rms rating in most cases can be ok, but too much distortion will destroy a speakers voice coils over time even if you dont drive them hard.

reddevsoccer
Unregistered guest
I just got an older second hand PPI 10" sub @ 4 ohms, and then I bought a rockford punch 600 watt amp. Will this work out for me, thanks for reply.

Username: Cisco

Post Number: 5
what amp would be best for a pair of jl 12W7 woofers. Doesnt matter price wise, just clearness is what Im looking for. Dont know if the jl1000/1 amp is good enough for these woofers. Also, how many ohms are the jl 12w7? (single or dual)???

Username: 01gsxr

cisco you need to run a class d mono amp to each sub for best results. I woul say 1000 wats rms to each. if you like the jl amps I would get 2. second your getting confused with ohms an voive coils. you can get them in single ore dual voice coil. jl makes acouple of diff set ups 2ohms 4homs and so on it's oll up to you and howe you want to run your subs and howe lowe your amps can handle the ohms. Ithink the jl amp is 2ohms stable. Ps my spelling sucks

Username: 01gsxr

Post Number: 3
this question is for you glass wolf,seams you no alot about this $hit. Im looking for some info on sound streams humanreign and tarantula amps,also any word on there davinci dv12 sub campared to the tdx and the jlw7 .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us