How much battery do i need for 450w total system?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 576
i'm trying to plan out a street party bicycle wagon system using a pair of power acoustik plasmaspere amps. one will power 2 NHT super zeros (8 ohms) per channel in parallel for 4 ohms at 150wpc and i planned on using one channel of the other for my 8 ohm goldwood 10" sub (rated to only 120w) for a total of 450 watts and want a 4-5 hour runtime once a week.

size, weight and cost are all issues. today i looked at some deep cycle batteries which were HUGE, but was thinking instead of buying a pair of smaller 12v lawnmower batteries for a 1 battery per amp system and faster recovery times that smaller batteries (like capacitors) offer.

i also like the smaller batteries because it would be easier to haul them one at a time down the two flights of stairs between my apartment and the street than one big back breaking monster battery.

is my plan feasable? i only need 4-5 hours once a week use with the rest of the week to trickle charge with a smart charger.

i'm DEFINATELY more interested in SQ than SPL. i don't think i'll ride at full volume either, just a few dB louder than my current 10wpc sonic impact and 86dB bookshelf speaker rig but with better bass extension and headroom.

any help in getting it right the 1st time would be appreciated. the other trailer rigs in my town are doing something wrong. i think they're pushing their underpowered amps too hard to make what i'm guessing are 6X9s act like subs because they aren't that loud and both go into serious and annoying clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 577
well, it looks like i'll just get a regular car battery on sale then and deal with it if it's power starved for full volume.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 213
ur stock battery and alt will work fine for 450 watts. thats small, raally. i run around 1000 watts

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 214
nevermind u prob need more than one battery to keep is going for 4-5 hours. maybe like four batterys wired together.
like this
Upload

sorry about the sloppyness. one batt will not run that for four hours. if you wire the batts like in the picture you'll have 12 volts but u can run longer. this is parallel if u wire in a series u'll have 48 volts and blow the sh!t out of ur amps and stuff.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1587
there are just too many variables to know...a battery's RC is considered to be depleted at 10.5v, but will your amps continue to work below 12v? 11v?

Assuming they'll work down to 10.5v - RC of the average battery can range anywhere from about 70 to about 150 minutes which is the amount of time it will provide 25A before reaching 10.5v.

Your amps should draw closer to half that much current playing music at reasonable volumes. So a typical automotive battery should give you 2-4 hrs.
But again - how much current will listening at "reasonable" volume really draw, and at what voltage will your amps shut down?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4104
you should look at telcom type batteries. Thy have a longer run time then car batteries. also a deep cycle battery will be better in your app. They are pricy compared to other batteries.
if price is a factor, a store brand marine or rv battery will be ok.

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 247
budget minded, well did u ever get it going? we never heard anything else from u.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us