Problem with Type R's

Username: Lam170

Post Number: 1
I have two Alpine Type R's which I've had for about a year. I bought them off a friend, because his amp was shot and he didn't want to buy a new one. So I bought a cheap Pioneer Amplifier, 750watts peak, 300-something RMS, i can't remember for sure, it doesn't really matter.

They worked fine for a year and then last week they started cutting out. I figured the amp needed some adjustments, and i didn't have the time to look at it. Finally they stopped producing almost any noise at all, and when i mess with the low pass and the gain they will hit (quite literally) for half a second and then cut out for like 20 seconds. Also sometimes they will almost pulse every couple of seconds like they are trying to work but can't. It's not where it should be hitting, and its not really a pleasant sound.

Now, I've checked all my connections, and they all seem fine, i also bought new RCA's... didn't help. The power light on the amp still comes on, but does little else.

So I figure it's probably either my car battery or the amp is shot... oh by the way I dont have cap, if that makes any difference, any suggestions? I also forgot to mention that obviously that amp cannot push both the type R's so I only had one connected. I tried plugging the other one in and it also does not work.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5336
have you tried your subs on a different amp.. IMO do that.. is the easiest way to find things out.

Bronze Member
Username: 302ranger

Post Number: 13
it could quite possibly be your ground...i had the same problem.
system worked fine for months, then all the sudden started cutting out, then stopped working all together. if i was you would look into it...

Username: Jayhunter

Post Number: 3
Get in your trunk with a volt tester man, I bet your remote wire is loose. Check all your fuses too! If anything I am guessing it is your amp; alpine makes some good speakers.

Username: Wokeupquick

Roseville, MN

Post Number: 2
I'm pretty sure your amp. is dying!

Username: Wokeupquick

Roseville, MN

Post Number: 3
I'm pretty sure your amp. is dying!

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 781
was there bass boost on or anything? because that could clip your subs. but i dont think that would be the problem. and never get a cap man, they're pointless.

Username: Basher8621yahoocom

McConnell AFB, Ks USA

Post Number: 9
^^agreed. If your lights are dimming first try the big 3 upgrade. That amp is pushing out 300w rms to 2 Type-R subs which have a rms of 500w each. That amp is not really the correct amp for your application. Chances are you were clipping your sub. Take a DMM to the voice coil and see what it reads.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us