I need some help with Sony Xplod amp and sub problem

Username: Tnuts

Post Number: 1
Car Audio Buffs Challenge! Ok, I installed a complete Sony Xplod system in my son's car. The system is really awesome and pounds the crap out of you. The sound quality is nice and the normal listening volume is at about 9 out of I think 40. Of course we occasionally crank it up to about 20 or 25 on the receiver volume level. The amp gain is set low to medium at most. Now here is the problem, this is second sub that has smoked. Only one sub smokes and its been the same side both times. I'm going to some multi-meter checks on the amp output channels but the installation is exact to recomendations to the guides supplied. Single channel bridged to the sub single channel connentions. Any helpful suggestions to a cure to this problem would be great. This is a list of the components and specs.
Sony CDX-GT610Ui receiver
General features:
CD player with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels)
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, AAC, and ATRAC3plus music files (except Digital Rights-protected files)
dot-matrix fluorescent display with blue button lighting
remote control
outputs: one set of preamp outputs (switchable to subwoofer mode)
}
Sony Xplod XM-2002GTR Amp
Details:
2-channel car amplifier
200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
low-pass crossover (50-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
MOSFET outputs and power supply
Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
CEA-2006 compliant
speaker-level inputs with signal sensing for automatic turn-on
preamp inputs and outputs
fuse rating: 40A x 2
4-gauge power and ground leads recommended -- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier

12" XS-L120P5H subs
Details:
ported enclosure with two 12" subwoofers
MDF construction with black carpet covering
two 12" five-sided polypropylene woofers with rubber surrounds
4-ohm total impedance
frequency response: 20-2,000 Hz
power handling: 100-600 watts RMS (2,000 watts peak)
sensitivity: 89 dB
32"W x 16-1/16"H x 18"D1 x 15-1/4"D2

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1582
Sounds like you are clipping the amplifier. Meaning that the gain is too high, but your deck has 2v preouts and the amp is good up to 6v so i would think that you would want your gain atleast at half. This may not be true tho. Start with the gain all the way down. Put your deck volume at 75% then adjust the gain on the amp. Now you have two subs and only one wire going to the amp from the subs right? Remove the wire from your amp and put your ohm meter on it. You should get 3-4 ohms right? The problem also maybe the equipment (Sony)

Post Number: 2
I've been racking my brain on this and have contacted Crutchfield and XPLODSONY. Neither of them can say for sure what is causing this one speaker to smoke. We have adjusted the gain and its half or less. By no means does this system get beat on. I was hoping something would stand right out and be THE problem.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1583
check your ground and power wires. if they are loose and your amp is starved for power than it will clip. Clipping kills subs.

Post Number: 3
I checked those last night quickly and all seemed tight. I have parallel 8ga wires for power and ground.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1584
you ran a ground wire from the battery? how long is it? you should try to keep the ground wire as short as possible. but for that small of an amp it should be okay. i dont know what else to tell you unless you have an oscilliscope. Are there any leaks in the box maybe? is it sealed or ported?

Post Number: 4
No, parallel 8ga's for power from battery and parallel 8ga's for ground that to chassis about 2ft away from amp. The box is ported and installed in the truck of a malibu behind the seats.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 580
equipment isnt the greatest.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1589
ok you probably need to reinforce the ground from your battery. Run another 8ga wire from your batteries negative terminal to the chassis of your vehicle. make sure that you scrape away any paint on the chassis where you will make the connection. you did scrape the paint away from the ground wire on your amp right? before doing this you could check the voltage on your amplifier while playing your sub at loud volumes. if the voltage dips then you have bad wiring and should try reinforcing the ground.

Post Number: 5
I will check the voltage to ground again but I did double check tightness and its perfect. Yes, the paint was removed at the chassis ground from the amp. I ordered a 1.2 Farad Cap, distro block, connectors and wire for it. I hope this will be the last subs I put into this car. Everything should be here Tuesday. Keep the suggestions coming because I still think there is something else I'm overlooking.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7313
" The system is really awesome and pounds the crap out of you. The sound quality is nice "

Hahaha FAIL.

" I installed a complete Sony Xplod system "

And there would be the problem

Post Number: 6
Sarcasms, I'm a pro. Listen putts, I did install the system and I followed the installation guides that came with each component. If you can read i asked for help! Unless you have some useful or helpful info, why don't you go pound salt up you anus. Why don't you grow up and quit trying put other people down. No, I don't install car audio everyday; however, I am a certified journeyman electrician that has 15 years experience. I have done a lot harder installs than a car audio system bub.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1592
ron you have to understand that these people here are audiophiles and they probably used to have sony for their first systems. we have all come to realize that sony sucks and you get what you pay for. they weren't really insulting you, just your equipment. if you asked them they could suggest much better equipment for not alot more. it seems that everyone that has sony has some kind of weird problem. keep trying though and you should be able to figure out the problem. make sure you check the voltage on the amplifier power terminals while you playing bass fairly loud. check for a voltage drop compared to the voltage on your battery. both tests with the car running. post the results.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1618
Have you tried swapping/returning the amp for a different one? As i highly doubt you would have got 2 bad subs in a row....

My 1st amp was Sony the newer silver/blue ones and I never had any problems with it, did a 139.8db, Street B (Term Lab) off that bad boy.

Post Number: 7
I apologize for the previous post. I read it as, because I installed it myself that was the issue.

I know it's not the best equipment but it's not the cheapest junk either. I didn't want to spend 2 or 3k on a audio system for my 17yr old sons car. I think $1000 plus is plenty for him. It does sound good when the subs are working.

I have to wait for the new equipment to come in before I can do anymore tests. Both subs in the enclosure are dust.

The amp being the problem has crossed my mind but it hasn't gone into protection mode or popped any fuses.

This is what Crutchfield, WHO HAVE BEEN AWESOME WITH EXCHANGES, wants me to do.

Exchange the enclosed 12" XS-L120P5H subs for two XS-L124P5B 12" subs and mount them in a sealed box from them. Also they recommended not bridging the amp but wiring the subs individual for two channels.

Any recommendations?

Details:
12" 4-ohm subwoofer
five-sided polypropylene cone with rubber surround
power range: 90-380 watts RMS (1,300 watts peak power)
frequency response: 18-2,000 Hz
top-mount depth: 6-3/8"
sealed box volume: 0.96 cubic feet
ported box volume: 1.2 cubic feet
Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1, 2

Post Number: 10
I read all the reviews for the Sony Xplod XM-2002GTR AMP on Crutchfield. 11 out of 12 people said this was an awesome amp and glad they tried Sony again.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1418
Sounds like you are running that amp @ 2 ohms bridged. If that amp is set up to put out its full power @ 4 ohms bridged, then connecting it with a 2 ohm load will more than likely clip.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1419
Will crutch field let you change it out for anything in within the price range? If so whats the total price, and maybe we can help with some recommendations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The subs were about $220 and they are willing to send me the new Sony set up at par. Both the amp and subs spec out at 4ohm. Crutchfield is recommending wiring it for 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms. I just don't want to be losing that much power. I'm losing 100 watts RMS wiring per Crutchfield. But it's better than popping subs. Also they're sending a sealed box verses ported.??? Techy says it should be close to the same as before.???

Sony Xplod XM-2002GTR Amp
Details:
2-channel car amplifier
200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

XS-L124P5B 12" sub
Details:
12" 4-ohm subwoofer
five-sided polypropylene cone with rubber surround
power range: 90-380 watts RMS (1,300 watts peak power)
frequency response: 18-2,000 Hz

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1422
Each sub has a 4 ohm single vc correct? If so, then you either have a 2 or 8 ohm load on the amp. Do you have them wired series or parallel to the amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The original subs were 2ohms each wired in parrallel to give a 4ohm load hooked up to the amp bridged. The new set up Crutchfield is sending me will be wired one sub to one channel and the other sub to the other.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1597
lol. the original 2 ohm subs were correct. crutchfield sux. you might as well go to circuit city. the 2 ohm subs wired in parallel give you a 1 ohm load. you would want to run then in series to get a 4 ohm load. run each 2 ohm sub to its own channel and you will have it right with full power.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1598
my 1st pot on here ---
"Remove the wire from your amp and put your ohm meter on it. You should get 3-4 ohms right?"

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1599
"Sarcasms, I'm a pro. Listen putts, I did install the system and I followed the installation guides that came with each component."

"Hahaha FAIL."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Oops, I meant series. The original subs were an enclosed pre wired unit which spec out at 4ohms.

"The original subs were 2ohms each wired in parrallel to give a 4ohm load hooked up to the amp bridged. The new set up Crutchfield is sending me will be wired one sub to one channel and the other sub to the other."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us