Got a free Redtop.... what to do?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1375
My dad came home today with a Optima redtop that some guy gave to him (used it in his race car). It's about 3 1/2 years old, but still holds a good charge. Now the details...

My current batt is an Interstate/875ca-700cca

The redtop is 980ca-800cca

If I put it under the hood, will I notice any difference at all with voltage?

I've heard mixing wet and dry batts don't work, so I think putting it in the trunk is out of the question.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1376
Bump

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7279
Right you can't mix different batteries without an isolator.

I don't think it will make much differnce. Bigger batteries will let you play the system longer before voltage drops to a critical level but they don't generate more power, thats what the alternator does. Which is why you need an HO alternator for high power amplifiers.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1378
How much is a good isolator, or do you know of any descent inexpensive ones? I found some anywhere between $35-100.
Here's one I found...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-200-Amp-Battery-Relay-Isolator-SR200-Marine-NEW_W0QQ itemZ140221071927QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OR

I was thinking of putting this under the hood and doing the big 3. I have a stock 105amp alt, and plan on doing an amp between 1200-1500w. I have enough 4ga, maybe enough to double up.

So what do you think I would benefit most from? 0ga is a little expensive, so 2 runs 4ga should cover it, since I already have it.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7291
Thats a relay not an isolator. You are going to pay ~$200 for a real one.

And don't use 2 smaller wires, use one big one. It will end being a PITA to fuse because each wire would need it's own fuse and holder.

Also go smaller on the amp, thats a bit too much for that alternator.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1386
I just wanna call it a day and get a HO alt, but I wanna sell my car really soon. Maybe I'll just wait to use the optima once I get a new vehicle.

Another quick question, I found another interstate batt in my garage, same as the one I have under my hood now (except it's top mount). Can I use that in my trunk and not have to buy a relay/isolator, since they are identical? I just want something to help for when I'm at idle for a few seconds, or when I'm coasting so it can help with voltage drops.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7292
You could wire those two batteries in parallel since they're identical.

But it won't make much difference unless you voltage is dropping really bad (below 12 volts). Batteries do not in any way increase voltage above 12.5

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1394
Looks like I'll be trying the second interstate batt, since it will be pretty much cost free. Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 7883
"Right you can't mix different batteries without an isolator. "

Wrong. You can mix batteries and people do it all the time. Of course it may have cons...

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1415
Won't they fight each other (when they sit) without an isolator?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7310
Yes.

Rob knows full well what I meant he just likes to pick apart every detail.

The "cons" would be current constantly flowing between the two batteries when the vehicle sits, resulting in both batteries drained. So in other words, you can't do it if you want things to work right.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1590
you could use high amperage diodes to isolate.... you would have a voltage drop of .7 tho

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1591
and alot of heat to dissipate. dont do it.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7320
That how a real isolator works, with diodes. The work very well for their purpose, that is if you want to have a sperate electrical system for amplifiers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us