Custom Components

Anonymous

Since this seems to be the only working part of the forum, I'll post here. I'm thinking of putting together my own system instead of a matched set. I plan to match a pair of Adire Audio Koda 6's and some Image Dynamics CD-2 horns. Also, good 24db/oct crossover at 3.5 khz. Do you think they'll be a good match? Has anyone had experience with ID's horns? Do they sound natural? Also, the mids are 4 ohm, and horns are 8, so the horns will get half the power. Koda 6's take 150W RMS and ID horns take 100W. If they aren't a good combo, I'll go with either a Koda component set or a ID component set. I like the Koda and ID mids, and they are what I'm narrowed down to, just wondering about the tweeter (or horn), so please no recommendations for components "I should get instead"

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3362
you mean ID's horn loaded compression drivers?
the waveguides?

Anonymous

Yeah. The horn loaded compression drivers. The ones I was looking at were the CD2 Pros. Do you like them, or are conventional components more natural sounding? I plan on getting an 2 Audiocontrol EQT's, so tuning isn't a problem. Also, Do you recommend a crossover frequency?

Anonymous

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 80
Go for an ID component set. They sound amazing.

Anonymous

Which component set? They have components with horn loaded drivers, and there are the chameleon components. Thanks for the help.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3368
let me tell ya what I think about waveguides..

orn-loaded compression drivers, also known as compression horns and wave guides, (HLCDs) represent what are possibly the biggest waste of money in car audio. The only benefits of HLCD are good dynamics, high efficiency and better imaging. However, the disadvantages are numerous. HLCD have frequency response from approximately 1kHz to 20kHz. thus they are essentially large tweeters with very good low frequency extension. However, they cost anywhere from $300 to over $1000 for a pair. By themselves, the HLCDs already cost as much or significantly more than most competition quality component speaker systems. You will also have to purchase a separate set of mid-bass drivers to cover the frequencies below 1kHz. A pair of quality mid-bass drivers start at about $150, adding more to the cost. Installation of HLCDs are very costly and time consuming. Labor quotes of $1000 just for the installation and setup of a pair of HLCDs are not uncommon. The installation location of HLCD is usually under the dash. Even though this position allows for a more focused image, the overall sound stage is much narrower than conventional tweeters mounted in the doors. The tradeoff for high efficiency is poor transient response, tonal accuracy and overall frequency response. There are mid-bass drivers that have better transient response than HLCDs. The frequency response and tonal accuracy of HLCD are so bad that it is generally accepted that in order to make a pair of HLCD listenable, one would need 30 band 1/3 octave equalizers, which cost no less than $300 (usually per channel.) After all of that, the sound quality of the HLCD are not even comparable to a pair of good conventional tweeters. In summary, HLCDs are expensive and they exhibit all the characteristics that we do NOT want in a tweeter, especially one that would require the owner to spend thousands just to get mediocre results.

Anonymous

Ok, thanks a lot, that really helped. I heard some people have negative comments, and others praise them, so I didn't know what to think. Comparing Image Dynamics Chameleon components and Adire Kodas, what can I expect the differences to be? My subs are two 12" ID Max D2s, running off a JL 1000/1. Will the ID components blend in well, or the Kodas? I know they both have excellent midbass and fantastic midrange, just not sure about the tweeters they use.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3370
ID MAX subs are terrific.
I liked the idea of waveguides when they first came out, but in practical application, they just cause too many problems to be viable for the cost.
You'd be better off spending ~$800-1200 for a good set of DynAudio System 340 or 360 3-way components for midbass and up.
That's all oyu'd need to blend into those subs.

Anonymous

Well, really, the doors and kicks are too cramped for 3 ways. I'd rather stick with a 2 way 6.5" component set. Any recommendations? I like ID's midbasses, just haven't heard the component sets. I'm thinking of Diamond Audio HEX series, too, maybe also Kodas. I'm thinking of selling one of the subs to my sister for $300 (she said she'd pay that) and just running one, that's all I need. I'm thinking of building a custom console to house the sub, firing toward the front of the cabin, have you ever done this or heard it done? I have a truck with a huge amounts of space in the console area, and plenty of room to clear the heater, etc., so getting the right box size won't be a problem. I'm thinking it'll provide good imaging since the sub will be in the front instead of behind the seat, also gives me more room as all I'll have behind the seat is a custom rack for the amps (one behind each seat). Any potential problems with that? maybe phase issues? Everything will be sound deadened and components will be in kick panels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us