What amperage fuse do I need

Bronze Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 32
I'm running a JL Audio 500/1, and a JL Audio 300/4 with a 2ga power wire. I'm running a JL 10W7 on the 500/1 and 4 6"x8" speakers on the 300/4. I bought the ANL fuse holder but i'm not sure what amperage of fuse to buy. Could you guys help me out?

Anonymous

something like a 100amp should do you fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ShouldI go 100amp or 150amp? The reason I ask is I bought the ANL fuse holder yesterday and it came with a brand new 150amp fuse. Should I go an get 100amp fuse for free or could I just leave it as 150amp?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 247
I don't think those amps will pull over 100, but I'm not totally sure. 100 should be better. 150 is a bit much. I like to go the smallest fuse I possibly can without blowing it with too much draw from the amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Well I don't want to blow a fuse every 10 seconds either. if I use the 150amp fuse will it damage my stereo equipment at all?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 249
No, that fuse is for protecting the car's electrical system, not the amplifiers. The amplifiers have their own protection. If you can find a 125, it'd be better, but 150 should be fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
If you had to choose out of 100amps and 150 amps which would you choose. The reason I ask is because I could get him to change it to 100 amps when I see him tomorrow!

Bronze Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 16
This is what I use. For every 100 watts you need a 10 amp fuse. You would proably be fine with a 80 amp fuse but I would do the 100. You want to be as close as possible matching fuse size with amp power. Because if you have too big a fuse and too much power is circulating that could lead to very bad things. So get the 100.

Anonymous

If you already have that 150amp fuse it should be fine just use it.

Bronze Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 21
No do not use the 150 amp fuse. Switch out and get the 100 amp fuse. Because you would like for your fuse to pop before you mess up your electrical system.

Anonymous

yes get a 100 amp fuse cause that current can really do a number to your electrical system.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 259
Yeah, out of the two, go with the 100. You'll likely never pull 100 amps unless you're running the amps full blast, and even if you do pop the fuse (highly doubtful) they're really cheap, worth saving your cars electrical system, anyway. If it pops the fuse quick, just get a 150.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Ok thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 159
Well, all that's really needed is something about 10-15 amps above the amp (or the sum of amps) fuse, meaning if your amp has a 30 A fuse, the installation will be better protected with a 40-45 A fuse. This is the way to get get highest protection.
Enjoy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us