Capacitor/Alternator

Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 9
Will a capacitor help my system if my alternator isn't powerful enough, or will it make it worse?

Also what is a good way to get Neon lights that will respond to bass hits?

Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 10
okay looked at that other dudespost. not getting a capacitor.. but the neons?

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 32
high output alternator

for the neons, you have to buy the kit that is sound activated.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 33
Michael, read this article about capacitors.

M.S. this article blows the sh!t out of your car capacitor theory...

"I've heard the question asked many times before, 'Do I really need a capacitor?' Before answering that question I ask, 'Do you have a high powered system?' 'Does it require sudden power bursts?' 'Is your amplifier being robbed of power?' If the answers to my questions are yes, make every effort to connect a capacitor to your car audio system.

A capacitor is a bit similar to your car battery; it stores electrical energy. But unlike a battery it doesn't produce its own power, it simply stores it. A car audio capacitor will help you get the most from your amplifier. It will store power for release on demand, delivering it to your amplifier just when it's needed.

Your car amplifier requires a lot of power to play loud music, especially when there's lots of heavy bass. Without a capacitor your amplifier will be robbed of power by parts like your lights, engine, and air conditioner.

So what happens when your car audio amplifier doesn't receive enough power?

A common occurrence is dimming lights. In such a situation the light will follow the beat of the music. The light will dim each time a heavy bass note sounds. If you were to turn off the lights, your car stereo system would suddenly sound louder and the music would be cleaner.

Your amplifier is simply trying to use more energy than the electrical system can supply. If a capacitor had been present there would have been enough energy to power your amp. That electrical energy would have already been stored.

When you want to reduce headlight dimming, improve bass response, and increase the power of your amp, a stiffening capacitor is a must. Equipped with capacitor and an adequate power supply, your system will get every bit of current it needs. Voltage drops will be a thing of the past.

With so many brands available online, it's easy to find a capacitor that meets your needs. You can choose from popular brands like Phoenix-Digital, Blitz-Audio, Kole-Audio, Pyramid, SoundStorm, Lanzar, Power-Acoustik, Pyle, Legacy, Nitro-BMW, SPL, and Volfenhag. No longer will your car amplifier be hungry for power."

Roger Charles is a successful author and publisher of Car Stereos Guide. A resource for information and tips on buying car stereos and car audio products online.

for referance, this came from http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Audio-Capacitors:-Why-You-Cant-Do-Without-Them&id= 74789

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7172
Hahahaha LMAO good job quoting a BS article. Just who is the author of that and what qualifications does he have.

Here's one by a respected former member of the forum. Anyone who remembers him will tell you he was the most knowledgeable person on this forum.

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 34
"A capacitor does have it's uses, but it is not a magical fix for a lacking electrical " good one M.S. i dont recall saying that it was a fix for a lacking electrical system.

read this from the article i posted.
"A capacitor is a bit similar to your car battery; it stores electrical energy. But unlike a battery it doesn't produce its own power, it simply stores it. A car audio capacitor will help you get the most from your amplifier. It will store power for release on demand, delivering it to your amplifier just when it's needed."

all i can say is if you wanna argue with me, you need to be on top of your game cuz i wrote plenty of essays in highschool b4 i withdrew and i kno how to argue my points.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7175
Hahaha that article is so full of crap it's amazing.

" A capacitor is a bit similar to your car battery; it stores electrical energy. But unlike a battery it doesn't produce its own power, it simply stores it. "

Wrong, both batteries and capacitors store energy, neither one produces it. Thats what the alternator does.

" Without a capacitor your amplifier will be robbed of power by parts like your lights, engine, and air conditioner. "

Wrong.

" If you were to turn off the lights, your car stereo system would suddenly sound louder and the music would be cleaner. "

Hahaha epic fail.

" You can choose from popular brands like Phoenix-Digital, Blitz-Audio, Kole-Audio, Pyramid, SoundStorm, Lanzar, Power-Acoustik, Pyle, Legacy, Nitro-BMW, SPL, and Volfenhag. "

Haha funny how all the crap brands make capacitors and none of the good companies do.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1815
WOW. What a shitty article.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 35
i think y'all are closed-minded.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1370
How does that make us closed minded? The only brand posted that some might argue is lanzar (opti series), but even then the majority of their stuff is crap too. We dont bash it because of its inexpensive price tag, but because of its poor performance and/or build quality.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7271
Something else you probably didn't know, amplifier power supplies have capacitors on the board already built in.

If the amp needed any more capacitance it would have it.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1575
You dont get something for nothing.... Its an electrical rule. Capacitors have a low ESR (equivilant series resistance) which means that they charge very quickly. When they charge they draw alot of current. If you have a lacking electrical system and you add a capacitor then you add more load to the alternator. Now the alternator has to charge the battery, supply the amplifiers AND recharge the capacitor. If you are hitting hard bass notes it doesnt take very long to discharge you capacitor. A capacitor will resist a change in voltage. This is good for large changes in current draw, but you have to be able to supply the needed power. You dont get something for nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 7881
"You dont get something for nothing.... Its an electrical rule. Capacitors have a low ESR (equivilant series resistance) which means that they charge very quickly. When they charge they draw alot of current. If you have a lacking electrical system and you add a capacitor then you add more load to the alternator. Now the alternator has to charge the battery, supply the amplifiers AND recharge the capacitor. If you are hitting hard bass notes it doesnt take very long to discharge you capacitor. A capacitor will resist a change in voltage. This is good for large changes in current draw, but you have to be able to supply the needed power. You dont get something for nothing."

This is true to some extent. If you have MONSTROUS capacitor or capicitors it will take a lot longer for them to drain and that's what most of you people don't realize.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1585
okay, put 100 capacitors in a car and charge them. you have an amplifier that needs 200 amps. you have an alternator that puts out 150 amps. the capacitors will discharge very quickly. once some of the current is dissipated from the capacitor it will need to be replaced. the capacitors are going to DEMAND the power from the alternator (due to the capacitors low ESR). Now you have to supply the original 200 amps to the amplifier plus the additional current it takes to charge the capacitors. now instead of only being 50 amps shy of the necessary power lets say you are now 75 amps shy. voltage drops. a capacitor should only be added to an electrical system that can supply the needed current. i hope this makes sense. capacitors have their purpose but it is not to make up for a lacking charging system.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1586
"This is true to some extent."

You dont get something for nothing is ALWAYS true in electronics. "Matter can neither be created or destroyed." -Einstein

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 7886
"If you are hitting hard bass notes it doesnt take very long to discharge you capacitor."

This is what I was referring to. For all of your information there are quite a few top level competitors around that USE capicitors for various reasons. Research it.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7308
" You dont get something for nothing is ALWAYS true in electronics. "

Indeed it is.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us