Confused on un wanted noises

Username: Yamaharacen232

Post Number: 1
i have a mtx thunderform enclosure with two ten inch 4500 series subs in a dodge dakota club cab. Im powering it using a profile california 2 CH AP1000 amp. my problem is theres alot of unwanted noises. i have the crossover set to low and have tried playing around with the gain and low frequency adjustment with little change. the low frequency adjustment doesnt help any and when i putt the gain all the way down some of the noise goes away. its like a humming noise that i even have when the volume is turned to zero. also when i turn on the lights and change the station or input on the stereo it seems to send more juice to the subs n causes a poping noise. I have tried using my brothers kenwood amp and sub set up with the same deal. I have also tried changing the location of the rca cables, replacing with different rca cables and trying a different ground. I am completly stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks wes

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5249
is your Hu pioneer?!

Set your gain with a DMM

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 101
It would seem that you are on the right track but put a plan together to solve the problem. Start with the power supply. Can you temporarily power your WHOLE system directly from the battery with the engine off? It could be the noise is upstream of where you are checking in that the noise is in the power supply of the head unit (you just haven't notices the noise in the other speakers. If the noise still occurs you have eliminated the power supply, you can then move to the output of the head unit checking all of the wires nd components all the way to the sub speakers.

Post Number: 2
yes i have a pioneer head unit. what does DMM mean?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
DMM = Digital Multi Meter

Post Number: 3
sorry for all the confusion im more of a beginner at the whole audio deal. how would i set the gain using a multi meter? thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5255
go to jl audio homepage and look their tutorials. They have 1 for gain setting.

You need to ground your RCA's.

Upload

Username: Tommymtx

Noblesville, In Usa

Post Number: 1
The humming noise is probley a bad ground ^ i would not ground your RCA's i've never seen that be4 and it don't look good at all..

Username: Tommymtx

Noblesville, In Usa

Post Number: 2
I would also try changing your RCA'S, Ive had that problem b4 as well and it was bad RCA's

Post Number: 4
well i tryed grounding my rca cables same deal,and as far as changing my RCA's i alredy tried that lol and nothing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5259
well bro pioneer hu's suffer from poor ground, i did that to my HU and suddenly all engine noises dissapeared.

IMO it is worth trying.

Post Number: 5
any other ideas lol? dont wanna buy a new head unit or bring to an audio place if its something i can fix

Bronze Member
Username: Msand951

Riverside, Ca Usa

Post Number: 63
dont mean to steal this thread but i have exactly the same prob. im using a jvc hu. the first time i installed it with a amp kit from walmart it worked fine. But i took everything out cause i was going to trade it in. but i didnt so i installed again using a boss 4 gauge and i got this noise. im guessing cheap amp kit .

Post Number: 6
anyone else got an idea?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5276
try what i told ya lol!

Post Number: 7
i tried both ways trying to rig up the rca hook ups to ground them and tuning the gain with no luck

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Have you tried powering the whole system directly from the battery?

Post Number: 8
im not sure how to do that wiring? any way someone could explain?

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
I think the problem is that the OEM wire is BARELY capable of handling the OEM radio (trust me on that one) and I am guessing that you are re-using that wire to power your Pioneer. If so you need to temporarily replace the OEM wire.

How did you power your Sub amp?

Post Number: 9
which wire the power wire thats set up in radio harness? how would i replace it? sorry for all the questions

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
All you need to do is replace power the head unit with some lamp cord temporarily running from the battery over the engine compartment in through the door and to the power and ground of the head unit. Then try to recreate the noise you heard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us