Adding amp to factory system

Username: Gymratin

Post Number: 1
I would like to add my aftermarket subs and amp to my factory system. I wanna keep the 6 disc head unit of my 04 Explorer. I bought the line out converter. I was planning on splicing into the wiring of the factory sub - a couple questions
1. one factory sub - but it has four wires coming out of it. How do I splice that with my line out converter.
2. I think I can splice into the remote wire of the harness going into the factory amp, and run it to my aftermarket amp, but I'm not sure the color of the factory remote wire leading into the amp. I would rather splice it there than run a wire from the fuse box.

Sorry if this is confusing, but I am a rookie when it comes to add to a otherwise factory setup.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7452
Are you sure the sub has 4 wires going to it and that's not the amplifier? I don't think the subwoofer installed is a dual voice coil but it is possible. I'm at work I'll be back to help more in a half hour.

Post Number: 2
yeah pretty sure.
On one end of the amplifier there is the wiring harness going into the amp (power, remote, etc). On the other end is a harness (with the speaker outputs) going out of the amp into the sub.

thanks for the quick response

Gold Member

Post Number: 7455
One guess like I mentioned above is that the factory sub is dual voice coil so that's why it has 4 wires but I've never personally seen that so... doesn't your line-out converter have 4 wires on it? It should be a left positive and negative and a right positive and negative. What LOC do you have? You can also splice into one of the rear speakers and that would work fine. You can figure out the remote wire pretty easily, get yourself a test light and find the factory amplifier and test each wire and first find your constant power and then find which one gets power with the radio on.

Post Number: 3
gotcha. i believe the brand is iec, and yes it does have 4 wires. as far as the test light, where can i get one or/and is that the same as a volt meter?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7467
You can get a test light at just about any auto parts store. You can also use a digital multi meter to figure it out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us