Wanted to introduce myself and ask for help

Username: Gemfow

Laurel, Maryland US

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site, well newly registered, I've read a lot of great info on here from a lot of different people. Anyway, I need help with a few things in regards to my system and suggestions to certain things, so let me tell you what I currently have.

HU - Eclipse CD5100
Amps - Eclipse PA5422(speakers) and Rockford Fosgate (Punch) 500s(Sub)
Speakers - Eclipse SP6500(front) and SP6900(rear)
Subwoofer - 10" Vega104 in a single bandpass box

I'm trying to get rid of the alternator whine and the hiss over the speakers in my vehicle, that's my main concern. I bought a groundloop isolator, but I would like to fix the problem without adding that into the system. I'm thinking about running my head unit ground all the way back and grounding it to the same point with the amps to see if it helps.

Secondary concerns are cleaning up the bass in the system, I think I need to take the Vega out the bandpass box since it's made for a sealed encosure. Sometimes the bass seems a little sloppy. Does anyone know of any good bandpass enclosure subs? Or do I need to post subs in another section?

Thanks for any help you can offer, I really need it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7450
Welcome to Ecoustics. The noise that you're speaking of(Alt whine) could be due to poorly insulated RCA cables and they're picking up interference from your power cable. If you already have a sub and want to run it in a sealed enclosure it wouldn't be hard for you to build it yourself and it'd be really cheap too.

Username: Gemfow

Laurel, Maryland US

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info Rob. As for the whine, me running the ground all the way to the back to the same point with the amps didn't work, but I'm thinking about buying one pair of RCA cables because the whine is actually in one cable, and that's the one I have hooked up to the front preamp. They are Fosgate RCA's that came packaged in a wiring amp install kit, so maybe the quality is lacking because the other ones that I bought(also Fosgate) don't seem to have the same problem.

As for the sub, I wanted to keep my bandpass box because it seems to produce more bass which is what I like, however I don't want too much bass to the point where everyone can hear me, that's why I've opted for 1 sub in the car.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7459
Well if the enclosure that you're using has too much air space it can cause that "sloppy" sound that you may be experiencing. There are plenty of box builders here on this forum that can probably build you a great sounding ported box that still has the ability to create some output respectfully.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5237
yes, check the subwoofer section. IMO you should go ported or sealed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us