Overpowering your alternator

Username: Foober251

Post Number: 1
I have a stock 90 amp alternator. Would it be ok to hook up a t30001bd rockford fosgate amplifier and just turn the gain down to like 1/5th? Does the amp still draw the full 200+ amperes or would it be ok without destroying my alternator. I am not an amature at car audio but i am not a pro. So it might be a noobish question but cant buy everything at one time when you're a student right.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 434
that amp is an absolute beast...they are very underrated - you could do it but why run the risk of damaging a great amp?

the t1000bd would be rough on a stock alt

you need a ho alt for the t30001bd for sure

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6450
If you turned it way down it wouldn't produce as much power, and wouldn't draw as much power. But what wouldbe the point of having such a big amplifier then?

To properly run that amp you definetly need an HO alternator and a good battery.

Post Number: 2
My goal is/was to install my t30001bd and replace the t1, so I can run the 2 h2's I got sitting in my garage. But as of now I need that HO alt, so I just have 2 phoenix gold rsdc's. Then again, I might want to rethink anything more than I have now seeing how I'm in a 300zx and .. well its quite small. My box for the h2's is custom takes up the entire trunk and tire well, has about 4.5 cu's of space. I think i might want to invest in some new glass/plexi too.....

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5196
you're going to f.ck things up

Post Number: 3
wonderful help, pretty useless, dont respond if you're not going to say anything useful. but thanks

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 416
juliob is right tho... sorry

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1868
he is helping u out.what juliob said is not useless

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 417
i wouldnt hook up the amp just because u risk blowing an expensive piece of equipment... wait until you get the HO alt and THEN put in that amp.

just wondering, how much did u pay for the T30001bd?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5203
sorry then.

Post Number: 4
paid 699 at a small car audio shop in irvine, CA bout 2 months ago. He said it was used in one of their installs. Was on sale so I figured I'd take it.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1491
I don't think the amp is in danger, but the alternator certainly is. The amp should simply shut off if the voltage drops too low.

The battery can easily produce enough current to feed the amp at 12-12.5v, but over time it will lose its charge, and all the while the alt will be under severe stress.
It's just a bad situation from the start unless you SEVERLY gain limit the amp's power, and if you do that - like MS said, what's the point of having a giant amp?
If you can afford an amp that costs half as much as my car it shouldn't be a big problem to look into an HO alt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us