Thoughts on DD...

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 119
So I actually have been thinking about some DD subs.

Im liking the 1512s, cause of the massive magnet. But I was wondering the SQ on the DD. And what I have been looking at is:
1512 - x2
2510 - x2
2512 - x2
3515 - x1
9110 - x2
9512 - x1

I know thats a pretty big variety of the stuff I like. But I just went to their site to see the power outputs. I was wondering what the SQ on these were like, what kind of box is best, idea of prices on each of those kinds, and a good place to buy them online. Please?

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2219
You're looking at a several hundred $ swing...especially going from two 1500s to 9100s. Those are pretty damn hard to find too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Yes. I knew these can be pricey. But I am not really concerned with the price as much as quality. I just got a new car, threw my old 2 10" Type-S in there for now. This is my daily driver, and I am eventually gonna replace it all, and I assume it will take some time. But it will be worth it. I have been thinking about 2 10" mainly cause I dont listen to rap. Rock and metal, 10" = louder, 12" = deeper. Just wanting some ideas on price, and I have also been thinking about Type R's or even HDC312's.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6859
There's lots of talk about DD subs not hitting on the low end but my 3515s have no trouble hitting the lows at all and that's in a box tuned to 40hz. Another thing about SQ is how fast a driver can react to the signal being sent to it and DDs beat pretty fast thanks to their light weight moving mass and suspensions :-)

Digital Designs(DD) doesn't sell online but you can find some used ones for sale but you won't be the first owner so it's technically not new, unless it's never been opened.

As far as a 10'' sub being louder and a 12'' sub being deeper that's not true.

What about getting a 9515? I know someone that has one for sale if you're interested :-)

Go to DD's website( www.ddaudio.com ) and go to their dealer locator and enter your zipcode and you'll get numbers to a few dealers in your area and you have to call them up to get pricing. If there are no dealers in your area then you'll have to contact DD directly and get a quote from them.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2220
10" = louder - that's not the case

If price is no concern definitely go for the 9110s. They would be incredible daily drivers. They have great SQ and good SPL. If you're considering those, you can throw out the the remaining ones IMO. They may cost you $500 each tho

Gold Member

Post Number: 6860
"10" = louder - that's not the case

If price is no concern definitely go for the 9110s. They would be incredible daily drivers. They have great SQ and good SPL. If you're considering those, you can throw out the the remaining ones IMO. They may cost you $500 each tho "

Where can you get 9110s for that price?

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Hmm. I would prolly pass on the 9515, im looking to keep it under 1300rms. HO alt, big 3, maybe a new bat. basically all the electrical work i want to do. 0 guage kit, dist block to both amps(sub amp and highs amp).

2 9110s, would be nice but I know I would end up under powering them. And I really would hate to underpower subs i paid a grand for lol. maybe 1 9110 series.

Whats up with this?
"Each Sub Series we make is designed to work in the DD Boxes. Each size sub in the series is designed for the same response. They all get the same motor, the same spiders, suspension throw and power handling. The 10 inch size will play just like the 15, but do it in a much smaller space."
-That was on their website. So is there no real difference in the size of DD subs? or should I say, much difference?

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2221
Sh*t I was thinking of the 9900 series that they don't make any more...my bad. I was thinkin' they quit making the 9100.

My opinion on them stays the same tho. They would be great for his daily setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6862
"-That was on their website. So is there no real difference in the size of DD subs? or should I say, much difference?"

Output would be a difference. Same with weight. There's a lot of things that will be different...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13115
lets be VERY REAL here talking about lows from DD - compare to other subs which were meant to play real lows - DD fail ! ....yes for their output they give some decent lows but IMO not real low freq true lows

i doubt any1 who who buys a DD has it in my to tune low 30s hoping to get low with loud ......u cant expect to everything from a sub - something's gotta give for the sake of the other ...JMHO !

Gold Member

Post Number: 6865
Another thing you guys need to keep in mind that it takes a LOT of power to be loud while hitting the lows. That's when you really hit the lows and shake everything apart.

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13117
^agreed ! nothing less than 1000wrms on the 9500s - sub barely moves 1\4" on that little bit of power ,2000wrms @ least ! ......

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
well im planning to do 1200-1400rms, with an amp with excess power for when its needed. Im not looking for real low lows, again...i dont listen to much rap, and when i do its just to play around with my subs. most of the time its rock, and metal...something with double bass is nice, but stuff like atreyu, avenged sevenfold, trivium, 3 days grace, bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, etc, etc.

but on their site, it says the the 10" has the same rms output as the 12s, 15s. unless they just underrate them. I do see that they weigh more, and thats obvious. and the bigger ones can get lower notes also. but im just wanting hard bass with good sound at around 1500rms. only electrical work i plan to do is a HO alt (not sure how many amps i need to get), big 3, and maybe if i have to, a new big battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
and as far as tuning. prolly a box tunes somewhere between 25-40hz

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 304
thats a big range of tuning

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
sorry, meant 35-40hz prolly around 38

Gold Member

Post Number: 6866
For an alternator you should get an alternator with the most amperage that you can find.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
where would be a good place to buy a HO alt for a 2006 pontiac g6

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 308
just search around and ask for quotes

these are the companies that recommended to me...

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/
http://www.ohiogen.com/
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/
http://www.mean-green.com/
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/
http://motorcityreman.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
out of all of those, highoutputalternator.com has a 200 amp alt is like 350-400$

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3227
i got mine at excessive amperage. haven't had any problems. everyone of those companies are good.

i wish 9110s were 500 a pop :-(

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2405
Yeah i really dont get where you guys are getting these prices...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6871
"Yeah i really dont get where you guys are getting these prices..."

They're not, they're just making them up in their heads.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18287
well i got a price for the 9115 from a reliable source.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6873
That price can probably go up though as the cost of material increases :-( Better hurry up and get one now Chad!

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5455
i loved my 9515f....got loud only default was it did get as low as i hoped it wouldve. :-(:-)

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18288
"That price can probably go up though as the cost of material increases :-( Better hurry up and get one now Chad!"

ahhhh my reliable source has spoken. lol. give me til may or june man. ima go crazy then. as long as it doesn't double by then i am cool.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2174
with only 1500 rms what about a 3515? Im giving my 9515 2700ish rms i deffinitly wouldnt puyt under 2000 to it.

i think the 3515 would be good though. hits hard gets loud and sounds good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
the dealer closest to me sells at these prices that i know of

2512 - $230
3512 - $375
9110 - $826
9512 - $688
m3 amp - $1200

not sure why 9110 is more though...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6883
What happened to them being $500? Haha.

Gold Member

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2406
"not sure why 9110 is more though..."

Because its DDs best sub...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6884
Jake, the Z series is DD's best :-)

Gold Member

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2407
Not for what I like Rob. haha

Z series like to go BURRRP BURRRP... game over, wheres the trophy.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13826
^^^Yep...

But honestly for daily drivers and for the price range i would get a pair of Icons, mags, q's, re sx's etc..before I would get any DD sub..but thats just me...There just not my cup of tea..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6887
"^^^Yep...

But honestly for daily drivers and for the price range i would get a pair of Icons, mags, q's, re sx's etc..before I would get any DD sub..but thats just me...There just not my cup of tea.."

It's a good thing that nobody cares for your opinion around here.

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13128
did u & CB have some kinda fallout or something ????......

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13706

Gold Member

Post Number: 6888
There's plenty of reasons why I and others don't like him. Nobody else says anything though, I bring it right to the table :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Imback2500

Post Number: 84
yeah rob chauncey is a punk
he likes to talk and brings nutin to the table?
and he dont know chit
he made me blow my amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
ouch reece...that sucks. and I thought the 9500 was higher than the 9100? and for the price, im liking the 2512s for a daily

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
so go ahead stupid
if ya wanna waste ur money
try the new sony explods
they are worth the money

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
meh

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13829
"It's a good thing that nobody cares for your opinion around here."

Thats great...and nobody cares about yours either (really i asked around), and as long as its a free country i will voice my opinion whether you wanna hear it or not :-)

But then again he cant say a valid point proving me or others wrong that say DD subs lack low end...Still waiting???

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
chauncey why are you talkin chit about reese?
we willmake sure you are gone
so quit punk@ss
and his opinion is better than urs

Gold Member

Post Number: 6889
"Thats great...and nobody cares about yours either (really i asked around), and as long as its a free country i will voice my opinion whether you wanna hear it or not

But then again he cant say a valid point proving me or others wrong that say DD subs lack low end...Still waiting???"

Who would you ask around? Nobody talks to you fool. All that aside you can talk all the sh1t you want about DD it doesn't matter. What kind of number can you do on a TL with your subs playing a 32hz tone? I'll get numbers of my DDs playing a 32hz tone if you post your vid first. We'll see who hits the lows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
reeses will ur subs suck
my subs are better than urs and louder all day every day
stupid phuck

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13834
"Who would you ask around? Nobody talks to you fool."

LLOLOLOL...Plenty of people on this and other forums talk to me...so you need to get your head out of your a.s.s and grow up...

also im not into playing tones, and this is louder then that, I have my subs because i like the way they sound..spl is the least of my worries....subs are the least important part of any car audio setup...as long as it sounds the way i want it to sound thats all that matters...Im not sure why you feel as if though if somebody doesnt agree with you then they are a dumb a.s.s, when did you become the King of the car audio world?? if you did i must have missed that one.

still waiting on it...btw numbers dont mean sh!t..even sony's get loud..

numbers= 90% install, 10% equipment...

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
chauncey why is ur ghey azz startin chit with ur corny subs?
we all know ur system is wack
and reeses and naledges are better
urs will get crushed
powned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6892
I thought we were talking about hitting the lows...what happened to that? You got called out and now you're playing the SQ game. Just shut your mouth next time you try to bash a product. I've never said I was the "King of the car audio world" I'm aware you're far more knowledgeable in car audio because you work at Nasa.Well...say you do Mr.Aerospace engineer. You're the one saying DD subs don't get low so you should be able to put up a better number on the meter playing a low frequency as opposed to any DD sub(s). So I'd like you to prove that with your setup.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
why not put money on it?
u scare dd phucker?

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13836
playing the sq game??? not playing any games...I love sq, and so should you..its a beautiful thing

like i said you can have DD Z series subs in a sh!tty install and not get the same numbers as some sony's in a great install, u should no that..Mr.Not sure what you do...Install, Install, Install...So many different factors play a huge role in hitting high on a mic...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6893
Whatever man. I see you won't even attempt to prove what you've said so it's all good, there's no point in us going back in forth on this thread with this spam. I don't like you and you shouldn't like me, that's the end of it. I think(Actually I know from your actions) you're a piece of sh1t Chauncey, I just wanted to clarify that.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13839
And Rob so are you, you are a waste of a man or woman..E-Hating, thats lame..Im not sure what I have done to you not to make you like me, i really dont care, but im not gonna lose any sleep over you, and you shouldnt me..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6894
"And Rob so are you, you are a waste of a man or woman..E-Hating, thats lame..Im not sure what I have done to you not to make you like me, i really dont care, but im not gonna lose any sleep over you, and you shouldnt me.."

It's not even what you've done to me...it's what you've done to others. The other's just don't say what they want to so I'm here for them. For someone that works at NASA you sure don't seem too bright as the last part of your sentence doesn't make any sense at all.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13842
"It's not even what you've done to me...it's what you've done to others. The other's just don't say what they want to so I'm here for them."

what have i done to anybody???

its 12am, and the internet, read it slow...maybe it will make sense to you

Gold Member

Post Number: 6896
Perhaps if you could type so that it made sense I'd understand but instead you were born a neanderthal so I guess it can't be helped.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8469
That was not me posting in between you guys.

Fyi

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 4200
same here ^^ i do wanna see a vid of chauncey's and robs system though... DO IT!

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1567
Ok, Rovin, Chauncy, you guys have been misinformed.

"DD's don't hit the lows."

haha, that statement is retarded.
I started running DD more than 10 years ago. I've built, heard, and used DD in many systems.
Truth be had none of you have given a reason as to why you feel DD woofers arent capable of producing high volume levels at low frequencies.
Rob has asked any of you to reply with your reasoning for this claim, he has even extended an offer to show you how loud his system is at low frequencies, yet, nothing....

Well I don't really have much to add to this silly notion other than 'how about y'all come over and listen to my Expedition that does 150 at 35hz with only 2 9515's. Of course that isnt anything to brag about, theres plenty of trucks out there that are much louder, my point is that its a street beater that gets low with DD's.

Was is Rovin that said "with 1000watts the 9500 wont even move"?,
haha, your goofy. The 95's are louder than 35's with equal power going to each. Been there, tested that.

Back to the original subject of this thread....

I think you'd be surprised with a pair of 1512's.
I listen to rock, funk, metal, ect, (MarsVolta, Refused, ect.) and to be honest the 1500 series are my favorite.
Yeah, they don't boast much on paper but when you hear them, my lord, they are some sweet soundin subs. As for amplitude, dude, they're loud as hell. Try'em out, and if you don't like'em, and i'd be surprised if you didnt, you can sell them for close to what ya paid for them and upgrade.

I'm known for telling customers to put their money away, "wait and see how you like it, and then, if you want more, spend the extra cash."

You don't know how many people say they want a 3000 watt amp and a pair of 15's or somethin like that and I ask them to just humble me by allowing me to show them a pair of 12's on 1500 watts. You'd be surprised how many people think your crazy they say they're looking to spend 4 grand BUT you tell'em the quality and performance they're looking for with can be had with half the money. It's all bout the install. Enclosure, tuning, box placement, venting the trunk area, phasing, ect......

I guess what I'm gettin at is DD grossly underrates their product. Example, Alan Dante is runs 40,000watts rms into just ONE Digital Designs sub, of course this is only a few seconds at a time haha.
As for being power hungry, that has a lot to do with the model. I just installed 2 9515's in a Caprice with one amp, (Fusion 2500D, which has a CEA rating of 1785 watts rms), and it sounds amazing. Upper 140's maybe a near 150 at particular notes.

But again, look into these 1500 series subs man, I'm a musician, an SPL world champion, and I have really big ears, so you can trust my judgement when I say you'll love the musicality and output of these woofers. haha

If you want something so loud it hurts, skip the 15 and 2500's and go straight to the 35's. These subs utilize the same voice coil as the 9500's.
The 3500 series subs are brutal. Yes they have good SQ, but these are capable of producing decibel levels that distort your hearing, who cares if the sub sounds good at 150 db because your ears would already be distorting themselves so you'd have no way of knowing if it or anything sounds good or not. :P
Geeze,
Zac Davis

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4213
Zac wins. Very informative post, Mr. Davis.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us