New deck, dead battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Lukasz70

Post Number: 46
hello, this maybe the wrong section, but i was unable to go into the receiver section

have a 5th gen prelude in storage since Nov. car has a brand new battery before it went in,

installed a new sony deck, didn't start the car for a month, when i tried the battery was comnpletely dead.

followed all instruciton on wiring harness and deck manual, overall easy install.

the only wires not being used from the deck are the 2 remote wires, 1 for amp, and 1 for power antenna.

the prelude does not come with a power antenna, (intergrated into rear window) but i have been told to hook up the remote antenna wire cause im getting constant power if i dont, that doesn't really make sense, but is this correct?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6101
Does your haedunits display turn completely off when you turn the car off?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
yes it does, it does beep 3 times after the car is off and key is out, the HU itself is off.

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 173
The three beeps are normal. I've had Sony HU's that have done this. Not sure why though. You don't have to worry about the two remote leads either. The Majority of HU's i've seen have them and they don't need to be connected to anything for the HU itself to turn off.

I doubt it that the HU could be draining so much power to kill a brand new battery. My best bet would be that its something else. I mean can you turn your headlights and things on?

Silver Member
Username: Ska

USA

Post Number: 393
just get the car jumped and then once a week turn the car on to charge the bat. did you ever do this with the old deck? or did you leave a door open? sometimes when a door is left open the car will drain its own bat with the door light being left on. if you have a security light that might make the bat die.

lots of things can make your car bat die. don't quikly come to the conclusion its the deck

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1481
The 3 beeps is a "just letting you know your HU is still connected and you should detach the face plate and hide it or people will steal it" warning beep.

Other than that the battery could have been bad to start with as I bought a battery and it was toast withing 4 months, it was practically dead when I bought it. Yay for 5 year warranty though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
nothing would turn on, no headlights not even interior lights would come on, the battery was a complete zero,

i did jump the car that time and let it run to charge the battery. a may let it charge next time, and then i will disconnect it,
if its dead next time i hook it up, then i know its the battery, i think i have a 2 year warranty.

thx, i just needed to make sure i was right, the antenna remote wire didn't make any sense to connect since its the deck sending the signal when on, not the other way around.

Silver Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 134
A HU might take a tiny amount of current to run the memory but should take a while longer than a month to kill a good battery. Are you sure it was charged good? It takes a long time to charge a battery running a car, like hours. Cold will weaken a battery also, too weak and too cold it will freeze.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
the batter is brand new, purchased in Nov, and put in storage. plus ran the car every few weeks after that so it should have been fine even with the cold in the garage.

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 174
i'll be hones with you in a situation like this its either a sh!t battery or something is wrong with the electrics in your car and is not turning off when it should be. in that case you need to take it to a garage or something so they can track the drain down for you.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1482
My battery was just barely holding a charge, but it was about 1/2 of what it was supposed to be same with resistance, it was DOA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
tried to start the car again, still nothing, we have had -15c temperatures but its still a new battery,

i will charge it, disconnect it and if its dead the next time i try it, then its the battery, if its alive, then a have a drain,

i checked all the wiring for the deck and it all correct.

Silver Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 137
You can only go maybe 2 months on a good battery in those temps. I'd recommend you take the battery out and put in your house, if not at least take a cable loose from it. Also you need to charge it like a whole day to get it topped off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us