Question about alpine subs

kim nguyen
i'm new to car audio and was wondering what the difference is between the alpine line of subs. i don't understand what's the difference between type r, type s, and type e. i already have an alpine cd player so i might as well get alpine for the rest of the system. i just don't know the difference between the subs except for the price and how they look.

teflondog
i'm not really an expert on alpine subs but from what i can tell, the main difference between the type r, type s, and type e, is just power handling. the type r is what you want to go for since it can handle the most power. correct me if i'm wrong anybody.

I believe the Type R is the top dog...but those are some mighty shiny apples you are having to pick from, kind of hard to go wrong.

Kim, I'd talk to the installer that you will have do the work. He can explain to you the benefits of each one and give you suggestions based on your car, your music choice, your amplifier, and what you want out of it.

It would be pointless to get Type R subs if you only have a small amp to drive them.

kim nguyen
thanks for the advice. i have an alpine mono amp which is the mrd-m350. the installer said that i should go with either a pair of the type s or the type e subs since each one handles 200 watts. that means that each sub would get approximately 175 watts from my amp. i listen mostly to music with a lot of bass like rap and techno so i don't know which one to go with. the type s or the type e? the installer said that there isn't much of a difference between the two.

teflondog
hey kim, i did some research on the type s and the type e subs and found out that their specs are practically identical. they handle the same amount of power, they're built from the same material, they have the same x-max, frequency response, and mounting depth. i heard from some people that alpine stopped making the type e and just replaced it with the type s series. these are just rumors and i'm not sure if they're true, although i did notice that type e subs don't seem to be very accessible. well in any case, if i were you i would go for the type e subs since they're about $30 cheaper than the type s subs. if anybody has a different opinion, i'm all ears.

kim nguyen
thanks a lot. i would have assumed that the type s subs are better since they're more expensive. if they're both the same then i'll get the type e's.

Anonymous
the type e's are the same as the type s's? why would alpine do that?

teflondog
i never said that they were the exact same. i just said that they had identical specifications. i never found out if the rumor about the type e evolving to the type s was true or not. i compared the two subs at the store today and the only difference i found between the two was that the type s has a stronger tinsel lead with a little more slack than the type e. i guess it's to prevent them from snapping with high excursion.

Anonymous
The type s subs are mostly DVC and have different magnets and basket setup compared to the "e"s

Anonymous
Well if the Type S has stronger tinsel lead with a little more slack then I would go with them, but since your only powering them with 175rms I most likely would go with the E's since they are cheaper.

JIGGA
HI, I HAVE A ROCKFORD FOSGATE Punch 500S Car Amplifier 125W x 2, 500 watts RMS x 1 bridged. i WANTED TO ASK IF I SHOULD GET 2 ALPINE TYPE S's, OR 1 TYPE S. ALSO HOW MANY WATTS SHOULD I GET TO MAKE MY CAR POUND N SHAKE, BUT HAS TO B A REASONABLE PRICE ($1-150).

Jigga,if you have 125 x 2 wouldnt that be 250 bridged? if so get one r-type that should pound for you just fine other wise get a larger amp. and getting a bigger amp will cost alot more than 150 know what i mean.
:)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us