New alt install.

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 654
Ok so i just got my new 220 amp Irragi alt installed. I took it to a shop to have it done because i didnt have the tools to do it myself.

They installed the alt and upgraded the wire from the alt to the positive terminal on the battery. They also upgraded the cable from the Negative terminal on the battery and grounded it to the motor. They left the cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the chassis.
Does this sound right to you guys?

Why are my lights dimming more now with a stronger alt than before when i had the stock alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Prostreetamx

Las Vegas, NV United States

Post Number: 14
For stereo equipment, the most important ground is the chassis ground. Mainly the starter is the only big draw on the motor. You need to upgrade the battery to chassis ground.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1395
Also, Iraggi alts have a not so savory reputation among some users here. I would take it back to the shop, ask for exactly what they did.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5982
That chassis to battery ground wire has to be upgraded.......

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 655
I will do that in the morning thanks for your help guys!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 656
Govmint Cheese i know what they did but i was just curious as to what you guys thought.

Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 103
Upgrades for HO Alt:
Upgraging the Big 3

This is the stuff you HAVE to change for HO ALT
Definition: the "Big Three" upgrade means improving the current capacity of three cables: 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis. Some people replace the factory wiring; others add additional cables to the factory wiring. This instruction is to add cables to existing OEM wiring.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 658
Thanks Ware's Garage & Stereo Junction
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us