Question: 2 or 3 amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Gdogg21

Forest Grove, Oregon U.S.A.

Post Number: 17
Is it better to run 2 two channel amps, or 1 4 channel amp? I'm going to put in some 6.5 comps in the front and some either 5 1/4 3 ways, or some 5 1/4 comps, in the rear and am wondering if it's better to run 2 two channel amps, or 1 4 channel amp with proper watter per channel? Thanks,

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1391
Well realistically to get the best sound imaging you would only want the speakers in front of you. So I would say 1 set up front and a powerful 2 channel for it.

If thats not your taste then a decent 4 channel will do. Less wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5972
^^^^^ right on

http://glasswolf.net/caraudio/rearfill.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
well the issue is the HU i am gonna be using doesn't have an internal amp. So any speakers that i put on it needs to be amped. And I need to have some speakers in the back of my Jeep. I just wasn't sure if it was easier to fine tune the controls if the amps were seperate, or if a 4 channel would do it job.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1849
To get the very best sound, I think 4 channels would be best, no matter how you get those 4 channels. Then you can play around with crossover points, you don't get highs riding on lows, and you don't get any crap from the passive crossovers' components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I think an amp like the Eclipse XA4000 which says is a class D would work effectively, and should be more efficient then say two 2 channel amps that draw more current. And as Govmint Cheese stated, it is less wiring but I'd be more worried about the drain on my alternator. I am in the process of trying to find a new alternator to buy before all my new toys can go in, but I think I need a bigger one then previously speculated. Would a 200 amp work or would i need a 250amp to run 2000 WRMS and either two 2 channels, or 1 4 channel amp? So figuring somewhere around 2500ish total WRMS? Thanks for all the replies, just didn't want to open a new thread and take up space.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1850
Get the biggest you can afford. 200 would probably suffice, but if you can get the 250, go for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us